www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help on hosting search

Need help on hosting search

I run my organization's web site, which gets minimal traffic all year except for about 10 days a year, when we make announcements that a lot of people care about, so the traffic spikes.

Most months we'll do 200-300 MB of bandwidth, but at the peaks we'll do 3-4 GB in a day. And most of that comes within the same hour. I can't find out sure, but I'm thinking that as many as 3K-4K visitors may come at the same time, at the top of the hour when the news breaks.

I've been looking for a new host because I had some hacker problems at my current host. In looking for new hosts, I'm hearing a lot of different things about what I need to handle those spikes (shared hosting or a VPS).

On one hand, I've got shared now, and it seems to handle the traffic OK. It slows a little, but no biggie. I'm worried that I'm asking for trouble, though. I can't have my site crashing at these peak times.

If I want to switch to something that gives me a VPS, I found that DreamHost has a plan that lets you adjust the amount of memory all the time. That would be perfect, so I could use the minimum all year, and only pay for the extra on days I know I'll need it. My only concern with DreamHost is that the reviews don't seem to be as good as other places.

I also wonder if I should move at all. My site got hacked twice within a week, even though I changed the password. Now it's been fine. Maybe that was just an isolated thing and not worth the hassle of moving.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Depends where you're from. If you are dutch, I would recommend antagonist.nl or some else, though if your from elsewhere I dont know a good one.

What I DO know for sure, is that when the traffic most of the time is minimum it will save you money when you just stick to a normal host and not a VPS or dedicated. And the hacking; if its your own CMS I would consider checking your code instead of blaming your host, because most of the time the sequrity issue is you fault. Maybe using a different CMS if its unsafe?

Thread Information