www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Struggling to find a good developer

Struggling to find a good developer

Over the course of the past 18 months I've worked with 4 developers (all offshore) to put together a website for me. I basically provided them with a reference point and asked them create a similar site with the same features and functionality, but with a different look.

18 months and approximately $30,000 I have nothing to show for it.

This is a result of my ignorance of the development process, the lack of communication and unreliable nature of Indian Developers.

I realized that no matter how large or small or how sophisticated the project is the turn around time with Indian developers is always 30-35 days.

How do I qualify a developer? How can I guarantee that the project will actually be completed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

perhaps you could find good developer on this site... http://www.freelancer.com/

Oh one thing, I'm a lil bit confuse with the site your trying to develop, may I know what kind of site is it? is it dynamic or static coz if its a dynamic application your project must be divided into 3 categories
    1. is in the database part or the back end
    2. is the business process (logic) also part of the back end
    3. is in the UI part or the user interface.

Just wondering what site your trying to build and why its not been accomplish yet after you hired your developer

Be careful on freelancer.com as well, it's full of people who say the exact same thing - 30-35 day deadline, $500 (or lower) pricepoint.

If it seems too good to be true, it is, I'm sure you've already learned that lesson.

If I were you, I'd start googling around for reputable agencies, chances are the price point will be higher than what you hoped, but you can see by going to offshore people whom you really can't verify you've already wasted a ton of money. At least with a reputable agency, you'll get peace of mind.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Find someone local... At least find someone in your own country so you can sue them when they don't produce results.

Web development is too hard to qualify. I've seen some outrageously unethical people in my field a lot of people don't have any problem doing half a job then they expect to get paid. Hire someone you can talk to face to face. That's the only way to be sure.

I'm sure great overseas development exists, but for every legit professional overseas developer there is probably 5 to 10 illegitimate people who spend most of their time developing a new company name and image so they can keep ripping people off again and again. Every last line of code they create will need to be rewritten. I've seen some COMPLETE trash created. I've seen a query that took 10-11 minutes to run. I rewrote it and executed it in less time than it took to run, that's the level - I'm talking about... They just don't care, stop hiring them.
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 04-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

That's really a waste of time and money. What resorted you to hire indian developers? Is it because you find them cheap? Someone recommended them to you? Or they've just applied to you and told you about what they can do?

You know you should not just outsource easily since this involves may risks as you will be monitoring them at a distance. You can check outsourcing problems and solutions here.

Cheaper rates do not actually mean you can save. Keep in mind that you will be getting what you pay for. Outsourcing web development is very important to you, so you really need to hire the best developers out there. Carefully interview them. Also look for reviews and feedback from their previous employer.

Thread Information