www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What is the widest resolution?

What is the widest resolution?

What is the widest screen resolution? I need to know so I can make a background that will fit on the widest resolution

1920 x number of monitors you can conceive of someone expanding their desktop onto ... I'd go 122880 to be safe.

I don't think using one huge image on all resolutions will work out well. It may look good on the largest resolution, but a smaller monitor will only be able to show a small part of it. That said, there are monitors with resolution as small as 800 pixels wide up to ones as large as 2560 pixels wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Big O(1) View Post
    I don't think using one huge image on all resolutions will work out well. It may look good on the largest resolution, but a smaller monitor will only be able to show a small part of it. That said, there are monitors with resolution as small as 800 pixels wide up to ones as large as 2560 pixels wide.
    If you're doing a background image for your site, one large image works fine. The actual part that is important to your design is usually no bigger than 1000px (give or take a little anyway), but if you've got gradients, sprites, etc on the sides of the image, then in order to make it look ok on big monitors (e.g. 27" iMacs) then you've got no choice but to make it much much wider and do this:

Code:
    body {
     background: url(image.jpg) center top no-repeat;
    }
    in your css.

It's a standard technique and works very well.

Hardly anybody designs for for 800px width resolutions monitors any more.

Svidgen is absolutely correct, but to encompass the largest percentage of users as possible, go with 1920
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 04-15-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Thread Information