www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Apache

Apache

I have a problem setting up my apache server. Lets say I have a directory (lets call it "protect"), and inside this directory I have a subdirectory ("unprotect").

A problem arises when I want to password protect the directory "protect" whilst leaving the sub-directory "unprotect" unprotected.

I have both directories as I want them however when I go to the "unprotect" sub-directory in my web browser it asks for a password, however X-ing out of it does not create a 401 error (and it does in the protected main directory).

Can I have it so that it will not prompt for a password in the "unprotected" sub-directory?

You cannot access the child folder without routing through the parent folder.

So is it possible at all?

I don't believe so as it is illogical.

I had a similiar problem, I just started learning about apache a couple of days ago. I got it up and running in a half a day, but one of the problems was that even though I have no server side scripts to execute (I only send an html document with client side js scripts) apache wouldn't work unless I placed my site in a directory that would give all users read and execution permissions, and that directory could not be a subdirectory of one that you only had permissions to read.

Would it be safer to create a partition for the site itself?

Thread Information