www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Chat Rooms Site (Please review)

Hybrid View

Arrow Chat Rooms Site (Please review)

Hello,

I would like members of this community to take a look at my site and give me some feedback on it what needs work, what you think doesn't work etc. Its a chat rooms, webcam chat/video chat/ forums site.

Free Chat Rooms - Ultimate-Chatzone

No offense, but a bit boring/basic.

Also, ughhhhhhhh wall of text. Im not there to read a technical manual, im there to go on a chatroom and type "asl?" to everyone.

I would a nice logo saying chatzone. Then I would do rounded oblong images just with the chatroom labels.

Get rid of the whole spiel underneath, you dont need it. All you need is links to faq, privacy policy, moderation, etc.

Change the colour. Use nicer natural colours.

If you arent that comfortable making your own template, browse around for free html/css templates ....

Consider your target groups as well. For example, teens, go to something like OMGPOP.com, a game and chat site, look in those chat rooms, look at the games mods start.

You need a fun site and something unique that draws people in. Maybe in a dating one, a speed dating chat organised by a mod where everyone asks a question to the next person.

Even with the perfect design, you are going to need help by getting people to mod it and keep it buzzing ...

Most chatrooms got replaced by bulletin boards in the past decade, but some exist, lurk in them and find out why ....
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666 View Post
    No offense, but a bit boring/basic.

Also, ughhhhhhhh wall of text. Im not there to read a technical manual, im there to go on a chatroom and type "asl?" to everyone.

I would a nice logo saying chatzone. Then I would do rounded oblong images just with the chatroom labels.

Get rid of the whole spiel underneath, you dont need it. All you need is links to faq, privacy policy, moderation, etc.

Change the colour. Use nicer natural colours.

If you arent that comfortable making your own template, browse around for free html/css templates ....

Consider your target groups as well. For example, teens, go to something like OMGPOP.com, a game and chat site, look in those chat rooms, look at the games mods start.

You need a fun site and something unique that draws people in. Maybe in a dating one, a speed dating chat organised by a mod where everyone asks a question to the next person.

Even with the perfect design, you are going to need help by getting people to mod it and keep it buzzing ...

Most chatrooms got replaced by bulletin boards in the past decade, but some exist, lurk in them and find out why ....
    Thank you so much for the input, the reason though that there is a lot of text is for SEO we are only 5 months old and we are trying to rank well, content is king they say. As for the design, i will work on it, i agree. Id love to hear more and what you guys think will help. Thank you for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by UCZ View Post
    Thank you so much for the input, the reason though that there is a lot of text is for SEO we are only 5 months old and we are trying to rank well, content is king they say.
    If you want to do that, try keywords in meta tags.

That way, all users will see is a clean, fun chat but you will still get a high ranking.

Really consider though a market you can appeal to. You have to create a community and have a chat people want to go to.

Step back from your company and think, why should I chat on your site? What does it offer that i cant find elsewhere?

For example, omgpop which I said, has flash games, but the chat feature, in game and also seperate chat rooms kept teens coming back. Chatroulette has become iconic to finding a nude fat guy playing with himself. Others like omegle had the same theme, chat to a stranger one to one. So in your rooms make fun games, quizzes, get people chatting instead of "hi all" and "asl" ... Really consider getting some social mods and even paying some people ad revenues, to get the site kickstarted if needs be ...
    Last edited by wh666-666; 04-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

If you want to do that, try keywords in meta tags.

That way, all users will see is a clean, fun chat but you will still get a high ranking.

Really consider though a market you can appeal to. You have to create a community and have a chat people want to go to.

Step back from your company and think, why should I chat on your site? What does it offer that i cant find elsewhere?

For example, omgpop which I said, has flash games, but the chat feature, in game and also seperate chat rooms kept teens coming back. Chatroulette has become iconic to finding a nude fat guy playing with himself. Others like omegle had the same theme, chat to a stranger one to one. So in your rooms make fun games, quizzes, get people chatting instead of "hi all" and "asl" ... Really consider getting some social mods and even paying some people ad revenues, to get the site kickstarted if needs be ...
    great, check now i modified the home page.

That's got some of the text off ...

Now to look to design ...

It's probably best for me to show you what I mean .....

Go to:
    http://wh666.comeze.com/

You will notice the borders are rounded. The background image may not be a polished one you want, but better than a basic backdrop. The colouring is in pastels so it isnt too glaring. At the top, Ive left room for a header banner (company/site logo) ....

In the main frame, can go images and a very short few word description. That will open up the relevant chat room ... You can have it arranged in a grid fashion like you do now, but more images, less text ....

You have to consider that although people will be chatting in the embedded flash, the background will always be there, so it needs to be easy on the eye, not too harsh, yet not too plain to send them to sleep.

At the bottom are textual links, you can use these to send people to a page like this. The css padding is a bit off but I only knocked this up quickly as an example:
    http://wh666.comeze.com/page2.html

In here can go all the text, etc etc. Then a button at the bottom to take them back to the main page.

Now that is on the assumption all you want is a chatroom ...

But your site is trying to do too much .... You cant have everything ... You cant be a blog, VB bulletin forum, chatroom, video chat and game site ....

I would suggest going with chat/video chat only, since you have paid for the software .... Ignore games, you wont become a leader there at all .... Forget forums and blogs ....
    Last edited by wh666-666; 05-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.

That's got some of the text off ...

Now to look to design ...

It's probably best for me to show you what I mean .....

Go to:
    http://wh666.comeze.com/

You will notice the borders are rounded. The background image may not be a polished one you want, but better than a basic backdrop. The colouring is in pastels so it isnt too glaring. At the top, Ive left room for a header banner (company/site logo) ....

In the main frame, can go images and a very short few word description. That will open up the relevant chat room ... You can have it arranged in a grid fashion like you do now, but more images, less text ....

You have to consider that although people will be chatting in the embedded flash, the background will always be there, so it needs to be easy on the eye, not too harsh, yet not too plain to send them to sleep.

At the bottom are textual links, you can use these to send people to a page like this. The css padding is a bit off but I only knocked this up quickly as an example:
    http://wh666.comeze.com/page2.html

In here can go all the text, etc etc. Then a button at the bottom to take them back to the main page.

Now that is on the assumption all you want is a chatroom ...

But your site is trying to do too much .... You cant have everything ... You cant be a blog, VB bulletin forum, chatroom, video chat and game site ....

I would suggest going with chat/video chat only, since you have paid for the software .... Ignore games, you wont become a leader there at all .... Forget forums and blogs ....

Thank you, that is correct, i want to focus only on the chats not the other stuff, the other stuff is only extra options

Thread Information