www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Google (or other) Map Pop-up

Google (or other) Map Pop-up

I'm sorry if this has been covered but my searching hasn't found it.

I have some text that contains references to places for which I would like a map pop-up to appear (clickable or mouse-over, don't mind).

I can (and would prefer to) provide the latitude/longitude coordinates in DMS form.

I'd prefer Google but another map provider would do.

I have used inline Google maps before but can't seem to find any reference to pop-ups.

Thanks.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology

I now understand that pop-ups are not generally acceptable and open a new tab and/or invocation of the browser which isn't really want I want anyway.

I don't know what the correct term is for such a window but what I want to happen is that a small e.g. 300x250 window displays dynamically over the top of the existing webpage showing a map associated with the reference (clickable or mouse-over) based on provided latitude/longitude DMS parameters.

I'd prefer Google but another map provider would do.

I have used inline Google maps before but can't seem to find any reference to this type of display (whatever the correct term for them is).

You might want to check these examples.html from Google Earth for ideas.

sounds like you just want someone to point you in a direction. you want a modalbox, lightbox or even perhaps somethign like the jquery qtip plugin ( http://craigsworks.com/projects/qtip/)

Sorry wbport, I can't find anything in the API documentation and examples. Everything starts (or appears to start) with the premise that you have a map and want to do something with it. I have text (and location parameters) and want to display a map based on that (sounds like a pretty common thing to do but then what do I know.

DanInMA, spot on (I think)? Now I know it is a "modalbox" that I want (I think). When you know what to search for, it makes life a lot simpler.

e.g. http://demental.info/modalbox/example.htm

I probably should have known that already.

Thanks.

Thread Information