After some minor reformatting of data from a textarea, from a loop I look at it with a variety of regular expressions. When I find one with an index of zero I create an appropriate entry in a work table, remove the length of that construct from the beginning of the string and loop again. A variable "maxOffset" is initialized to the length of the data and, if a found construct has an index > zero, that index will replace maxOffset if it is less that that current value. If I fall through to the end of the loop I will know how long the garbage is, create an error message, and remove it from the string.
Code:
  while (lines.length > 0) {
     var strLength, maxOffset = lines.length;
     if ((result = lines.match(/\|\|/))) { //Found double bar line
	   if (result.index == 0) { lastfound = "double bar";
	     strLength = result[0].length;
		 genWorkEntry("Bar|Style:Double");
		 lines = lines.substr(strLength);
		 continue;  }
	   else
         maxOffset = (result.index < maxOffset)? result.index : maxOffset; }

if ((result = lines.match(/:\|(\d)/))) {  //Found Repeat Close and Special ending
	   	if (result.index == 0) {  lastfound = "repclose special";
	     strLength = result[0].length;
         genWorkEntry("Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose");
		 genWorkEntry("Ending|Endings:" + result[1]);
		 lines = lines.substr(strLength);
	     continue;   }
		else
          maxOffset = (result.index < maxOffset)? result.index : maxOffset;	}
  errText += "Unable to process: " + lines.substr(0,maxOffset) + " length: " + maxOffset + " last: " + lastfound + "\n";
   genWorkEntry("Text|Text:\"" + lines.substr(0,maxOffset)
        	+ "\"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-8|Wide:Y|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:3|Visibility:Default");
   lines = lines.substr(maxOffset);
  }  //End main parsing loop
Each of these constructs ends with the same (colored) lines. Is there a way to eliminate the need for this? switch and case seems close to the structure, but it can't do regular expressions.

The website is abcnwc.htm and this code is on lines 541-819.

TIA