dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Converting MOV, MPEG, etc. to AVI

Converting MOV, MPEG, etc. to AVI

Greetings forum viewers,
    Quick question. I am working on a short Movie Maker 2 production and I need to use video clips in MOV and MPEG formats. I have read that these need to first be converted to AVI format to work best in MM2.

a) does anyone have an opinion about the above and b) is there a good converter out there someone can recommend?

captsig

Unless the program just does not import .mov or .mpeg files, I would not recommend doing any convertion. Each time the video file is "converted" or "rendered", there is a compression process taking place and quality is decreased, it is never improved.
    So do some testing first. I'm not familiar with MM2 but can't imagine that the only files it can work with are .avi files.
    Best of luck,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Thanks EFV, Movie Maker 2 will handle a number of formats, but MOV format seems to give it problems as noted in the book I have for MM2. For my current project, it created the "movie" OK, but the sound was all chopped up. That might be an indication of a difference in the shooting speed of the camera and the editiing program's playback speed.Maybe ???

captsig

I can't imagine that the shooting speed of the camera is not correctly handled by your video editing program.
    As for the audio, .mov is a "container" format, meaning it can contain audio, video, or both. It seems that the codec used for the audio portion does not agree with MM2.
    You may be able to open the .mov and strip out the audio, convert that to mp3 and bring that into MM2 as the audio. Some options:
    http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...-from-MOV-file
    Or you may end up just having to convert the entire video, as you first mentioned.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

Thread Information