www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: RSS feeds? Obsolete?

resolved RSS feeds? Obsolete?

Anyone know how successful RSS feeds are these days? Are they still worth doing? Any idea of the age demographic that uses them?
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

Still Useful

As long as you set these up and people know you have them they still are very useful. They can be used to display content on feed sites building links to your/client's website. RSS can be use with Facebook to publish notes when you add a blog post. When you do these be sure to link the feed into the head of the html documents so that search bots and browsers can find them.
    Ryan Condron
    Freelance Web Developer
    http://www.rebelwebdevelopment.com

I don't believe that RSS feeds are obsolete. Many people find it easier to be exposed to information via their RSS readers.
    I can say that a significant percentage of the websites that are hosted by us, use the RSS features and report many subscribers.
    Start your website today at LiveCity

RSS are useful for content building. Not everything is meant for the actual human eyes; search engines should be accounted for, too.
    Absence of a result is a result, unless defined otherwise.

Daria: What do you mean by "RSS are useful for content building."? Are you talking comments from visitors?
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

a) you can do that, and b) you can use another party's RSS to display on your site. For example, this website has multiple spots that display the feeds from other resources. It serves the Veterans District site by providing their members with extra content, and helps adding the content without actually physically typing it. There may be an argument about a duplicate content, however if you do it right you may work around this too. So it serves the vfwdistrict2nj.com website by providing their members with content, and it serves the vfwwebcom.org website by providing the backlinks.

Ah, ok I see what you mean. Yes I did realize that, but that is not really what I am looking for (that does sound useful in other cases). I have a client that wants people to be able to know when new information is released on their site, but most of their target audience would be 40 to 65 and I am not sure that they would know what RSS is, never mind how to use it.
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

I guess it really depends on target audience (which may surprise you!) and on the industry. In the end of the day even if it is useless if the client wants it and pays for it... Why not? I'll be honest I've seen things recommended by marketers I thought were silly but in the end proved me wrong, because they worked... And sometimes vice versa, I've seen people putting things in just because they can and they thought it looked "cool", and it was a waste of time and money.

I guess you'll have to see it in action - if you go through with it - to see if it was worth it! Let us know how it goes

Yes, they haven't asked for RSS specifically, just something to alert users when they update their site. Currently the plan is a mailing list that they sign up for, but I was wondering if RSS would do it. The mailing list is fairly full-proof, other then the possibility of email-blocking servers.

So far my research doesn't really support adding RSS (in this case) that it seems mostly used for blog sites and such who want their content to be posted by other websites. I did a quick (and obviously informal) survey of all of my 300 (or so) facebook 'friends'. Most of them had never heard of it and only one of them actually used RSS and he is 20-30 years younger then my target audience in this case.

Daria, nothing enrages me more (or in some cases makes me laugh) then website that is filled with all sorts of unnecessary crap that either the client or the developer thought was "cool". I realize it is sometimes hard to stop a client from shooting their own foot off, but developers really should do a better job of talking clients out of hurting their own website.
    Hey, I like potatoes!
    Support the wwf org!

Thread Information