www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Sending form output to a frame in ANOTHER window

Unhappy Sending form output to a frame in ANOTHER window

Hi,

I am currently constructing a web-based database and would like to have it so that the main query output appears in a frame in the main window. Some of the queries require the user to make successive choices, each based on the one before, before the final query is built and executed. I would like the user input to occur in a pop-up child window belonging to the frame in the main window.

For example, a table of data is printed out into the main output frame. This table has links to then cross reference the data within it. Ok, so the user will click one of these links which will then pull up a pop-up window giving a little information about the link, and various choices to allow the user to cross-reference this back into the main database. The point is, I need this query output to go BACK INTO THE PARENT FRAME, as opposed to into the pop-up (child) window

I got as far as using <FORM ACTION="opener.location.replace('query.php') NAME="thisform" METHOD="GET">. This runs the query in the parent frame, but does not appear to pass the form data to the server . Any ideas on how I can go this??

Thanks!

Chris J

are you using java servlet/jsp on your server side?

Khalid

Just using PHP on server side.

Chris J

Lets try,
    I am no sure how PHP works,but it should be similar as to jsp/asp, if it si then here is how it should work

1.your parent "parent.jsp" page will have the results of the main query in the memory.
    2. it will display an html portion of the page using that information.
    3. once a link is clicked on the html page.
    4. it should open a popup window.
    5. on the pop up window after user interaction in the form action="the processing logic, .php, .jsp or .asp"

and very important the target attribute must have the value same as the parent pages name
    "parent.jsp"
    where you can condition process it with if and else
    ...this is just an idea and I know it will work,because I have done something exactly like this using java servlets..
    hope it helps

Khalid

Hi,

Thanks for that - but it didn't work. I even tried naming the target page with the <BODY onLoad="window.name='query.php'"> described in my other thread. I think I might try the PHP mailing lists.

Cheers,

Chris J

onclick="target='right'" , where "right" is the name of the frame you want it to appear.
    I hope that this is what you are asking..

Thread Information