dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Table with 1000 rows crashing IE

resolved [RESOLVED] Table with 1000 rows crashing IE

Hello guys,

I have a big problem with my website.
    I'm loading a table with about 4 columns and around 1200 rows. I get everything from Mysql.

The problem is that IE crashes everytime I try to load this table.
    On safari, FF and Chrome, the page takes about 15 seconds to load completly but those browsers can render the table with not many problems. They actually let me scroll part of the table while the rest of the table is loading.

I read somewhere that Smart screen filter prevents a lot of data from being pulled to the browser and therefore makes IE crash. I tried disabling it but still have no luck.

We will be implementing a sort of pagination system or something like that because it is ridiculous to have so many rows displayed on one page. For now we are beta testing and my client needs to view the information loaded on the database so I need a quick fix for this (he can't install a different browser for now).

Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there a way to tell the browser that the page is loading correctly and ask it to wait until it's done before it crashes?

Thank you so much!

Like I said, this only happens on IE.

I wonder - does this happen in every version of IE? Perhaps IE9, which is faster, is better at handling this issue.

Sadly it does . IE9 is a bit faster but it still displays a message saying the tab has crashed. If we wait about 40 seconds the tab displays the page correctly though.

Guess I'll just have to put my efforts on fixing this with a paginated table or something since there doesn't seem to be a quick fix

Perhaps this table is too much to handle, by IE. Although tables are suggested semantically for tabular data, they still add up a whole lot of markup to the page.
    I take it that it would be impossible to display the data otherwise, right?
    Perhaps it would be wise to parse segments of data using AJAX and not the whole thing - like Facebook does when scrolling to the bottom of a page and it loads additional content.

Is it possible to split it into two or more sub-tables on separate pages? That would be a no-brainer, if that's possible.

Ditto to LiveCity - that's a great way to do it. Twitter is the same way, it doesn't load all tweets from your followers at once, it loads something like 40 (or so) and when you scroll to the bottom, it loads 10-15 more through AJAX.

Thank you guys for tour suggestions! I think that is the best solution right there.

I think that's what i'll do.

Thanks!

Thread Information