www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Include php file only on one page??

Include php file only on one page??

I have my pages set up to all work off of one index.php file using:

Code:
    <?php $page = "html/" . $_GET['page'] . ".html";
    include($page); ?>
    I want to have something be in a div on the index.php page only on one of the included pages. Like having it show only on "index.php?page=main" but not on "index.php?page=about" or any other pages unless specified. How would I go about doing this? Variables? I'm a beginner when it comes to php.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    if($_GET['page'] == 'main') {
    ?>
    <div>
    blah blah blah
    </div>
    <?php
    }
    ?>
    PS: you might want to "sanitize" the $_GET['page'] value a bit to stop malicious users from trying stuff like:
    Code:
    http://yoursite.com/index.php?page=..%2F..%2F..%2Fetc%2Fpasswd%00
    One way, if all your html files to be included are in the same directory:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $page 
    "html/" basename($_GET['page']) . ".html";
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you very much! This forum is so helpful. I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the basename thing though.

basename() function

It returns the supplied string after stripping any directory parts, so basename('/foo/bar/file') returns just "file", and basename('../../../etc/passwd') returns just "passwd", preventing someone from possibly reading your web host's password file if your code tries to include the unsanitized $_GET value.

In other words, never trust data from forms, query strings, cookies, or any other external source that a malicious (or careless) user could manipulate.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Alright I have all of that sorted out. Thank you so much for your help! A lot of the help guides to explain php seem really vague but you've helped a lot.

Thread Information