www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How long should this take?

Question How long should this take?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and web design for that matter but I thought it'd be a great place to get some experienced opinions and advice. There was a job listing I saw for junior web dev and it required hand coding the following web page.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...ntern-test.jpg

My question is, how long would you say it should take to hand code this both from a beginning dev. standpoint and from a veterans?

Just wondering because although I can code it I'd like to know what's expected from me in the event I get the position.

Hard to tell if the table is static or is created at run time, also don't know what the intent of the button is, so anyone who answers you will be guessing. If all you need to do is code a static page that looks like the image, even a beginner should be able to hand code it in a couple of hours even if they need to look up the CSS to float the two column design. If, however, there is a lot of dynamic content and/or postbacks to the page a beginner could run into a couple of days.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

It depends. It looks as though you just need to create a page that looks like that, with little to no functionality in the buttons or links. I'm a third year computer science student with only 3 months of web development experience (so I would imagine for a junior web dev job, it'd be people with similar experience you'd be competing with). If i had to write out the code in an interview by hand.. might be 20-30 minutes. I'd probably spend most of my time thinking out how to do the CSS for it, considering I usually have dreamweaver or whatever it is do it for me, just with clicks.

Yes, about 20-30min was what I was thinking, maybe an hr if you don't remember some of the css which is what I ran into. There's so much code one has to remember to be a web dev between all the different languages I wonder how often a typical web dev has to refer to references when building a complicated site, I assume often unless they've learned each language inside and out and worked with most tags, attr., etc... often enough that they're imprinted in their heads thoroughly. Dreamweaver and other web building apps. i'm sure are great tools and are required often enough in the work place as they make things faster but I'm planning on learning that farther down the line as I want to make sure I can hand code even the most complicated of sites even though I'll most likely be using an app for the sake of time.

As for the table, I assumed it was static and the button I merely made it link to the origin website where I downloaded the test as I assumed it was all about the look and not the function. Interesting though, TheBearMay, you mentioned floating the two columns? I had originally thought I would have to float two different elements together when I first looked at it but instead I went ahead and just built it in a table with 2 td's and it all came out looking the same. Or perhaps did you mean the new CSS3 column tag? That's another problem I worry about, what's the best method of creating this or that, or does it not matter so long as it comes out looking the same? Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Thread Information