www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: window.onerror in Opera

window.onerror in Opera

I am trying to use the following code to trap JavaScript errors. It seems to work well in IE and FF but not in Opera. I expect I must have turned it off somewhere in the "preferences" but I can't find where. I'm using Opera 10.10.
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
     function Err() {
      alert('trapped');
      return true;
     }
     window.onerror=Err;
    </script>

It is as simple as that: Safari, Chrome, Opera and Konqueror do not support this event on JavaScript errors. Neither in IE nor in FF this event is complete implemented. IE and Firefox have trouble with JavaScript errors in the traditional event registration model.

You should better use a debug tool, as a developer. Forget about onerror. It is inconsistent implemented along the browsers.

It is working in IE and FF, and it was working in Opera. I made some changes to the web page, installed a newer version of Opera, and then it doesn't work. I have trimmed the code to just the part in question and searched all of Opera's switches believing that the newer version changed something or I did it myself, but I can't find what. I'm hoping someone can point me to some, possibly hidden, option that I'm missing.

that chart doesn't have any current browsers listed; chrome is 12 versions behind, ios is 2 versions, firefox is 3 version behind, etc...

useless.

Quote Originally Posted by rnd me View Post
    that chart doesn't have any current browsers listed; chrome is 12 versions behind, ios is 2 versions, firefox is 3 version behind, etc...

useless.
    The idea is that the new browsers still might have incomplete implementations of a method or another, and the answer to a question like "Why this method does not work in this browser?" is almost always: "Because this method does not work in this browser". If it does not work, it does not work. You may send it as a bug to the vendors.

There might be cross-browser workarounds for a problem or another, but this one with onerror looks a little bit scope-less. maybe if the OP would detail end extend his aim, we might find a solve.
    Last edited by Kor; 05-31-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Just a note: OP should consider the fact that browsers are in use always with at least 2-3 versions at the same time. Something might work in FF4, but not in FF 3.6, In IE9, but not in IE8, and so on.

For instance, the fact that something does not work in Opera 10.10 is not so relevant. Opera has reached the version 11.11 already. Don't mention that it might be under Win, Mac, Linux...

Thank you all for your insights.

For those who wanted more information: I worked for thirty-five years in a university IT department where I always had the newest, fastest, best-in-every-way computer and unbelievably fast internet connections. I had no need for anything great at home, so I was content with a Pentium II, Windows 98, on dial-up. Then I lost my job, my great office computer, and money to replace my home equipment. I'm not looking for sympathy, just explaining why I have such old stuff here. Unfortunately, the newer browsers will not run on my old machine.

I have a web page which I wrote to help me test JavaScript while I'm trying to help people on the forums. I like it to easily tell me what is wrong without demanding that I go to an error console to see the messages. Opera is the ONLY browser where this fails; the following work perfectly:

InternetExplorer 6.0.2800.1106
    FireFox 2.0.0.16
    Netscape 4.08 (WOW, can you believe it?)
    Netscape 7
    Mozilla 1.1
    SlimBrowser 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by jalarie View Post
    I have a web page which I wrote to help me test JavaScript while I'm trying to help people on the forums. I like it to easily tell me what is wrong without demanding that I go to an error console to see the messages. Opera is the ONLY browser where this fails; the following work perfectly:
    examine the code at http://danml.com/sandbox/ and see how i catch errors to dump to the title, error console, and log tab.

To "rnd me" go thanks. Your try/catch works much better than the window.onerror that I had. Thank you to everyone for the help.

Thread Information