dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ASP newbie help

ASP newbie help

I work for a website. I want to know how to update the site. So I got an FTP and downloaded the site. I uploaded it into dreamweaver. Now, some of the pages are HTML some are CSS but a vast majority are asp. When I open them in dreamweaver they don't look right and there is a little icon that says .asp What is the problem here? Is there another program I can use?

I don't believe Dreamweaver can show ASP scripts unless you have IIS installed on your machine. It would probably be easier to make the changes and upload it via FTP to view the changes you made.

Any advice on installing iis on a mac? Because of the little asp icons the page just looks warped in Dreamweaver, is there another program that will make it look normal and not warped?

I don't believe you can install IIS on a mac. It is a Windows server process.

So what do you think I should do? I have boot camp setup. I know a some HTML and CSS but .asp is a total foreign language to me. I like working in Dreamweaver. I don't want to actually edit .asp code I just want the page to look normal so I can work with the HTML and CSS. Is there a way to open a page with asp, but just have it look normal, not actually edit it? How can I make some changes in html and css when nothing looks the same on the page?

As far as I know, it won't display correctly in dream weaver and I don't know of any way around that. Your best bet is to edit the code in dreamweaver, then upload the page to the server again using FTP and check how the changes look in your browser. If you don't want to edit the actual page so you can preview your changes, you can change the file name (example.asp => example2.asp).

Is there another program that would work, Mac or Windows?

If you are using Windows, then sure. Install IIS using the Windows Install CD (google how to install IIS). Should work then.

HI,

asp pages can be viewed in any text editor, you don't need any program apart from a textpad/notepad to read or write it. Running it on a mac enviroment I'm sure you can get a mac web server to run asp but don't quote me on that I'm not a mac user.

regards

Ribs

Thread Information