www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is there any way to count how many times a specific word comes up in a txt file?

Question Is there any way to count how many times a specific word comes up in a txt file?

The title says it all. Thanks in advance.

search the manual for string functions.
    and if they're not powerfull enough you can always use regular expressions
    (something like this:

PHP Code:
    $str "to be or not to be";
    preg_match_all("/\bbe\b/i"$str$matches);
    echo 
    count($matches[0]); 
    )
    Free Scripts (PHP, Javascript, MySQL), homemade in the Excudo Devshed
    Create your own personal Startpage for free

Should be pretty straight-forward with something like what themarty suggested. Where it can get kind of "messy" is if you search for "play", for instance, and whether or not you want to find "plays", "played", and "playing" yet might not want to match on "playbill".
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

my php knowledge is basic so could you expand more, thanks
    Last edited by last1here; 06-15-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by last1here View Post
    my php knowledge is basic so could you expand more, thanks
    It's not so much a question of PHP knowledge (at this point) as it is deciding what your exact functional requirements are. Do you only want to match exact words, or do you want to match if the search word is contained within a larger word -- or something more complex such as matching only with certain suffixes such as "s", "es", "er", "ed" or "ing"? Should the searching be case-insensitive? Is there some other requirement I haven't thought of?

Once you nail down the exact functional requirements, it's then much easier to come up with an exact coding solution.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

I would only like to find exact words. The reason i want to find exact words is because i have a download counter that outputs into a .txt document and i would like to display how many times something has been downloaded.

Eg. say i have a file called example.zip every time somebody downloads it it adds a line to the txt file saying: example.zip and the date.

so i wanted to see how many times it says example so i can say how many times its been downloaded.

If you can make a database connection is would be much wiser to store this information there instead of a text-file.
    also be careful with your concept of words. if someone downloads example.zip and example.txt (or even Example.zip) you probably don't want to count them as hits belonging to one and the same file

Quote Originally Posted by last1here View Post
    I would only like to find exact words. The reason i want to find exact words is because i have a download counter that outputs into a .txt document and i would like to display how many times something has been downloaded.

Eg. say i have a file called example.zip every time somebody downloads it it adds a line to the txt file saying: example.zip and the date.

so i wanted to see how many times it says example so i can say how many times its been downloaded.
    themarty's solution in the first reply should do the job then. (Remove the "i" after the final "/" of the regular expression if you want the matching to be case-sensitive.)

eBookworm.us

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by themarty View Post
    If you can make a database connection is would be much wiser to store this information there instead of a text-file.
    also be careful with your concept of words. if someone downloads example.zip and example.txt (or even Example.zip) you probably don't want to count them as hits belonging to one and the same file
    I did what you said and made a db connection and just out putted the data that way.

Thanks themarty & NogDog

i hope you are generating the results using a query now.
    just to be sure, you can now do something like this:

Code:
    SELECT
    	COUNT(*) AS total, filename
    FROM downloads
    GROUP BY filename

Thread Information