www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do I remove article ID from URL?

How do I remove article ID from URL?

I've managed to set up my links so that they run to the url I want. Originally they were running to 'myweb.com/blog/1/title' but i've decided that's not quite good enough and want to remove the article id from the url so it reads 'myweb.com/blog/title'. I understand I need to get the blog reading from the $title row and not the $id but I'm not quite sure how to do this with my code, which is this:

if (!isset($_GET['id']) || !is_numeric($_GET['id'])) {
    die("Invalid ID specified.");
    }

$id = (int)$_GET['id'];
    $sql = "SELECT * FROM php_blog WHERE id='$id' LIMIT 1";

$result = mysql_query($sql) or print ("Can't select entry from table php_blog.<br />" . $sql . "<br />" . mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$date = date("l F d Y", $row['timestamp']);

$title = stripslashes($row['title']);
    $entry = stripslashes($row['entry']);
    $password = $row['password'];
    $get_categories = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM php_blog_categories WHERE `category_id` = $row[category]");
    $category = mysql_fetch_array($get_categories);

if ($password == 1) {
    if (isset($_POST['username']) && $_POST['username'] == $my_username) {
    if (isset($_POST['pass']) && $_POST['pass'] == $my_password) {
    ?>
    <p><strong><?php echo $title; ?></strong><br /><br />
    <?php echo $entry; ?><br /><br />
    Posted in <?php echo $category['category_name']; ?> on <?php echo $date; ?></p>

<?php
    }
    else { ?>
    <p>Sorry, wrong password.</p>

<?php
    }
    }
    else {
    echo "<p><strong>" . $title . "</strong></p>";

printf("<p>This is a password protected entry. If you have a password, log in below.</p>");

printf("<form method=\"post\" action=\"blog_single.php?id=&#37;s\"><p><strong><label for=\"username\">Username:</label></strong><br /><input type=\"text\" name=\"username\" id=\"username\" /></p><p><strong><label for=\"pass\">Password:</label></strong><br /><input type=\"password\" name=\"pass\" id=\"pass\" /></p><p><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" id=\"submit\" value=\"submit\" /></p></form>",$id);
    print "<br /><br />";
    }
    }
    else { ?>
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thank you in advance.

So you want the PHP to find the article on the basis of the title, rather than the record ID? Dangerous stuff. Always select a record by the unique field - usually the ID. Titles are not always unique.

I'm not necessarily saying that's what I want to happen, I've just heard that's one way to do it. This is my blog so all the titles will be unique. However if there is a better way to remove the number from my url then I'm certainly willing to listen to that.

At the moment, to achieve 'myweb.com/blog/article-title/' i have this in my .htaccess

RewriteRule ^blog/([^/\.]+)/?$ blog_single.php?title=$1 [L]
    This at the moment however doesn't allow the page to call from the database as the code is looking for the ID.

When i had 'myweb.com/blog/1/article-title' I had this is my .htaccess:

RewriteRule ^blog/([^/\.]+)/?/([^/\.]+)/?$ blog_single.php?id=$1&title=$2 [L]
    And that called from the database fine.

Thread Information