dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: White Gaps in IE! Help!

White Gaps in IE! Help!

Help me WebDeveloper folk, you're my only hope!

I must start by saying that I am not a developer / programmer, and know as good as chuff all about coding. I am just trying to find a solution so that I can pass it on to my web development team.

Although appearing just fine in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, there's a large white gap appearing on my homepage when viewed in IE.

My website: www.redcandy.co.uk

The white gap appears above the 'Sale' banner on the homepage. I really need this gap to be the same width as the one below the banner.

Any ideas as to how I correct this gap in IE, and leave it unaffected when viewed in other browsers?

Any help appreciated!!

Many thanks

Andy

Remove the BR tag

Remove the <BR> tag before the table that wraps the "sale image".

Also:
    • Stop using table tags for layout
    • hire a front end engineer/developer
    • stop referring to one guy as a team

Just being snarky, I don't mean any offense.

Sorry. I made myself look foolish by providing a wrong answer and then adding snark.

The BR tag is not the only problem, in fact I think the real problem is the margin on .content_index getting 15px more from an IE stylesheet (400px in other browsers, 415px in IE).

There's a whole lot of weirdness going on in that css.

Sorry for the quick response.

Thanks for the reply BigAB, appreciated.

I designed the centre section content (where the 'Sale' poster is) - I have no idea other than tables how to lay out my content (I use the free NVU program to generate the html). ...maybe employing somebody to do these bits for me isn't a bad idea!!

Anyhoo, I placed the <BR> before the table in order to prevent the content from overlapping the tabs above when viewed in Chrome.

I will ask my web guys (yes, there are more than 1 - I use an external company for all of my development) to have a look at margin on .content_index - sounds like that may be responsible.

Last thing - when you say wierdness in the css - what have you spotted that doesn't make sense..?

Thanks again for the [snarky] reply

Cheers

Andy

Some weirdness

For starters there is a wrapping div with class "frame" that has 0 height and serves no purpose as the child element of .frame is .inner which is positioned absolutely for no reason I can tell either.

In the div .headlinks everything is floated left except div .minicart has a margin to give the links room, then again the table used to position the thing bag and login links.

The "oddness" I mentioned though was all the margins and absolute positioning on the different sections, which I now presume is to position the content before the header and navigation links in the HTML, so okay, I can get behind that kind of a thing for SEO and whatever.

I just found the whole thing is very pixel dependent and a change in the text/copy or the font size could throw the whole layout out of whack in places. But you know it's just a style different than my own, and if it's working, best to ignore me.

Thread Information