www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Hosting my own website

Hosting my own website

Hi,
    I was wondering what is necessary to host my own website, specifically, whether or not it is cost effective.

Thanks

Server, internet connection, time, etc etc etc.

Why bother doing your own hosting? Plenty of free hosts out there without ads, with scripting, good storage, bandwith, etc ....

Post The way to host your own website

The easiest way to host your own website is to first, register at smallbuisness.yahoo.com. The price is very reasonable and has recommendations on how to create a successful site. Then download their free yahoo Site builder (on windows only) or use iWeb (if on a Mac)

Quote Originally Posted by Yyd View Post
    The easiest way to host your own website is to first, register at smallbuisness.yahoo.com. The price is very reasonable and has recommendations on how to create a successful site. Then download their free yahoo Site builder (on windows only) or use iWeb (if on a Mac)
    Please dont spam or post misleading information ...

That is not hosting your own site ... The OP never asked if they should BUILD their own site, they asked about hosting.

Yahoo, geocities, whatever you want to call it is for brain dead morons. The site builder is crap. Yahoo then HOST THE PAGES THEMSELVES and insert ads on them as well.

There are plenty of hosts as I said that allow scripting, free of ads and good bandwith options. To upgrade and get unlimited mail servers and other goodies, only costs a couple of dollars a month.

Your own server at home, would gobble up at least ten times that in power alone, just in power costs alone.

PS: Free webhost I use. excellent bandwith, quick ping response, free of ads, can use php, what more do you need on a free plan?

http://www.000 web host.com/448393.html

(you need to delete the spaces in the URL above)
    Last edited by wh666-666; 07-18-2011 at 08:53 AM.

I host my own site, www.emulation-station.com - Off of a P4 with 512 of RAM. I use apache, but if you're just starting out, you'll want to get Abyss.

Everything you need to know is at www.abyssunderground.co.uk

And you can get your own domain name for cheap at www.godaddy.com

Yeah i don't think self hosting is cost effective as wh666 pointed out - its too much hassle compared to the cost of almost free web hosting.

and yes, yahoo is the worst choice anyone can go for - when i started out, i registered a domain with them, at renewal, they wanted me to pay $40 for a .com renewal! I let my domain cancel at the time, but after that, i never even think about yahoo.

Smile Web Hosting

The web hosting could be the better choice to promote the business by making he domain to view the current process..... The hosting enable the marketing clients to enter into the service.... Even though it may cost, but it effective to improve the business activity...!

The answer to your question isn't as simple as it may first appear. If you are hosting a singular, low traffic website then i would say yes - try it yourself. The things you learn along the way will help you a lot on the journey to being a web dev, server admin or full time nerd Also, depending on how reliable your hosting needs to be it CAN be cost effective, or almost free. (Domain name, power supply, internet connection will obviously still cost you)

What you need:

An old computer.
    Internet connection with a static IP (there are other ways like dynamic dns but static is the best way really)
    Patience and time.

Download and install your favourite distro of linux (if you dont have one, ubuntu is a good place to start). Check out some apache + whatever you want installed tutorials and enjoy. Obviously if you are wanting to set up hosting for a business site you will want something a little more powerful than an old computer and you will want things like backup power sources in place just in case you have a power cut but in a case like that i would advise you to simply go with a trusted hosting provider.
    Last edited by ryanlund; 11-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Smile Hosting service

The hosting service really wondering to improve your business.... Use the best plan to promote your website.... Exact selection could make the difference...!

I host a couple websites and e-commerece store on a single core athlon 2.3ghz with 3 gig of ram. Power consumption is much less then a decent VPS which I would require. However power outages and ISP issues can be a problem if happens often.

You need to get your self a server linux distro and install Apache, SSH and FTP client. I recommend Debian based distro. Ubuntu server installation hasn't failed me yet on any machine I installed it on.

Make sure your ISP at home doesn't block port 80 at minimum but also 22 and 21 would be optimal. If you need to host e-mail, also port 25,110,143. Static IP is really a must if you want to have a real domain pointed to it. A lot of time you can call them and for a small fee a month you can get a static IP.

Then you just set everything up, configure your router at home to forward the correct ports to the IP address and you should be set. Then point your domain names to your public IP. You can host more then one domain this way setting up virtual hosts, but you can only do one SSL certificate per IP. So keep that in mind if you want to do ecommerce unless your ISP can assign you more then one IP.

If you decide to go this route prepare to spend a couple hours/days to figure this stuff out. But once you get it, it will be much easier for future set ups. I would not recommend this to a novice user unless they really want to learn how everything works. The knowledge you gain from doing everything your self is priceless. Any questions feel free to ask.

There are several factors to be considered while choosing a web hosting service. Taking into consideration the key factors to be followed are:

1. Compatability: Select a host offering you compatibility with the hardware that you already have. You want to ensure that the installation as well as the overall process is easy. Therefore, when selecting a host, ensure that any operating system, application or existing hardware you have in place is capable of being used alongside your hosting investment.
    2. Payment solution:. Choose your payment plan that also supports third party services too. One of the most common is PayPal. Or, you can select ecommerce hosting that gives you all the payment options you are looking for.
    3. Data support is another key aspect of business web site hosting. You want a method that will allow you to import data from one place to the next not only quickly but easily. Again, without this, the technical aspects of managing your hosting will be more difficult.
    4. Be sure inventory management tools are available. To do this, be sure you look for a hosting plan with flexible APR's. APR is nothing but the Annual Percentage Rata which helps to calculate the interest rate per year and not on monthly basis. This allows you to maintain your financial services properly.
    5. Shopping carts are critical to this type of business, too. Your business web site hosting solution should offer a shopping cart system that is very easy to use and it should allow your visitors to browse through the online store and purchase items as they go.

And for your business i suggest you Dedicated hosting services. It would be goo enough for you to run as many sites in an extended bandwidth. there are many hosting service available out there who provide hosting services. i would suggest you xnynz.com get your site best hoste

Thread Information