www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Building a PHP Site: Getting Started Help

Building a PHP Site: Getting Started Help

Hi,
    I am looking to write a website that uses accounts and etc. (for which PHP and MySQL are required), and I was wondering about what I need to get started (ie. server-wise, software-wise). Also if anyone has a decent tutorial on writing a website like this I would greatly appreciate it.

What is your general experience level in programming and database design in general and PHP specifically?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Learning can be costy. If you are just looking to get things done in one single project, try leveraging existing platforms / frameworks.

Either wordpress or google open id can give you a head start.
    My made some nice little php scripts. I also made a image converter / resizer that's perfect for fellow web developers!

be prepared if you are going to be doing it from scratch and this is your first ballgame in php to spend atleast 3 -6 months of straight work. If you know nothing what so ever about programming and this is the first outside of html and css then you will need a 6mo to 1yr atleast.
    Samantha Morrison
    Knock-Out Web Designs
    http://kowebdesigns.com
    Website Developer/Designer

I personally started with a book because i like books you can write in them and don't use up all your ink in your printer. Any book will work but make sure it has many different types of examples of scripts, databases.. etc.. The one i started with was very much like this one
    Learning PHP & MySQL: Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Database-Driven Web Sites Michele E. Davis Jon A. Phillips(Authors)

After you have gotten started with the book then you can start looking around the internet for different things to help you out in what you are wanting to achieve.
    Samantha Morrison
    Knock-Out Web Designs
    http://kowebdesigns.com
    Website Developer/Designer

Thanks for the advice on the book. However, in terms of a server, do I need one to start writing the site, and if so, any advice?

You can start by in stalling something such as WAMP, or XAMPP on your local pc to start working on code and database and see if you can get things working before you go and pay for a server.
    ~Ryan
    www.rdennispallas.com <-- Personal Site, changing regularly cuz its ugly.

hey nice thread..thanks for sharing this useful information

Thread Information