www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Resume Aggregator

Resume Aggregator

What program can I use to create an aggregation software?

What do you want to aggregate?

Thanks for your response.

I want to aggregate resumes from different job boards online. Something like TalentHook.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Terense View Post
    I want to aggregate resumes from different job boards online. Something like TalentHook.com.
    As far as I'm aware, the aggregators need bespoke software configured to each "donor" site to extract the data from the web pages. This is known as "screen scraping" and is expensive. it also requires an agreement by the "donors" to pay a sub-agency free for every customer introduced. Otherwise The exercise does not make commercial sense.

The insurance industry, where aggregation is rife, has largely moved on frrom the "screen scraping" approach, to, by agreement, taking a feed directly from the system supplier, in a three way arrangement.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 03-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks jedaisoul ...I've done some research and it looks like I will need to use Perl to create such a software. Software development is not my strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by Terense View Post
    Thanks jedaisoul ...I've done some research and it looks like I will need to use Perl to create such a software. Software development is not my strong point.
    I do not want to dampen your enthusiasm, but writing aggregator software is a complex task. However, sixteen years ago, with little practical experience, I started writing a work management application. It grew and flourished with the company who used it. Indeed they continued to use it until last year. So it can be done.

As for using Perl, I suspect that PHP would suffice. It integrates with HTML, CSS and SQL, and I find it easy to pick up. I have no experience of Perl, so cannot comment on that language. Whatever language you use you will need to understand the concepts of database design. That is an art form in in its own right!
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 03-26-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Jedaisoul ...what would be your suggestion as far as a route to go with the programming language? I'm working on the requirements and want to know what you think would be a "best practice" when it comes to the language used. This software is to run on a server and be used through a website 100% of the time.

Thank you for your help.

Also, I would think that this software would require dedicated hosting, but would it also work on a shared host?

I cannot comment on languages as I'm only familiar with PHP (and no expert in that!)

So far as servers go, that depends on volume of traffic.

Thread Information