www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Public php

Hybrid View

Exclamation Public php

Im going to make my website public i was just wondering if there are any ISP requirements for a php mysql website. Like should the Upload/download hit a certain speed like 25mbs up/down for decent size website also will any isp allow me to simply put my website up live with wamp or will i need a sepcial ISP.

If so can you guys list some that allow mysql/php, Im currently loosing my mind over trying to figure this out

Any help would be Great

Surely a master coder (age 17) should be able to work that out?

that says "master Coder" not master ISP chooser

Your IP will change if it's dynamic. Ask for a static IP or at the VERY LEAST a sticky IP with a decent DHCP lease. Some ISPs do care about high traffic sites. That's enough said about that, just give 'em a call. Your bandwidth is most likely throttled, if you need more call your ISP. Ask for someone in the tech department, not in sales... don't waste their time acting smart- just tell them, in English, what it is you're wanting.

You'll want a domain name, right? You need to change the A records to point to your machines IP, that's a pita if it keeps changing every day. You're also going to want decent name servers so don't pick a fly-by-night registrar.

If your power goes out during a storm, your site goes down. If that doesn't bother you- good, because there aren't many alternatives.

Keeping your machine on 24/7 processing traffic means your electric bill will go up, not a joke. Disks don't spin on wishes. Awwwwwwwwwww, I wish my electricity bill was zero

Configuring Apache can be hours of trouble. Security updates are required if you don't want someone sitting on your box. Windows in general is impossibly hard to secure, the mandatory access controls are this never ending mess. But as an administrator you should probably have that all figured out eh?

You want SSL? Well unless your visitors trust you or someone in a chain of CAs leading up to a known CA- prepare to fork over some money to a big-name CA to sign your cert. $100 for a year. But a hobbyist doesn't need this- plus you're smart, find a central authentication system you trust (like Open ID, they pay for a signed cert).

All in all you're talking about spending $10 to $20 USD to get set up ($10 domain registration, $0-10 sticky IP), plus ~10 hours to get an open port for the world, plus ~10 hours configuring your services properly, plus ~20 hours if you have ADHD.
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 07-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.

ADHD (CHECK!)

Thanks for the Reply exactly what i needed to Know

Probally just going to spend the 100$

Is there a way to host multiple websites on one "sticky" IP.. im guessing through those 20 hours of apache editing.
    Last edited by Nvenom; 07-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvenom View Post
    ADHD (CHECK!)

Thanks for the Reply exactly what i needed to Know

Probally just going to spend the 100$

Is there a way to host multiple websites on one "sticky" IP.. im guessing through those 20 hours of apache editing.
    That depends how you want to do it. You can buy another domain name and see which one was used when the user agent requests whatever it is they request (web pages I suppose).

You can add a CNAME record, free

awesomesite.yourdomain.net
    notsoawesomesite.yourdomain.net
    mail.yourdomain.net
    vnc.yourdomain.net
    ssh.yourdomain.net

that may require setting up another virtual host... Not always... There's probably an infinite number of ways to do it. Different ports, etc.

You can get two domain names, and send them both of their A records to port 80 on the same box then check which one they used (there's probably an apache directive for that).
    Probably cost you an extra $10.

But your SSL certificate is for 1 FQDN. When I wrote mine it was for a different domain name- but I'm too lazy to remake it... even though I'm my own CA... but that's not a problem, you can make your central authentication server's FQDN the one, then a cname called secure.yourcentralauthenticationserver.net and use it as an API for multiple client's sites whenever you want to transfer something securely.

Is there a way to host multiple websites on one "sticky" IP.
    yes, an infinite number of ways, if you throw SSH into the mix then you'll get there faster.
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 07-11-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thread Information