dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Keeping MySQL Improved Errors From Displaying Without @

Keeping MySQL Improved Errors From Displaying Without @

Is there a way I can keep MySQL errors from displaying without placing '@' in front of every function I call? Keep in mind that I use PHP's MySQLi extension.

Thanks!

What errors? Mysqli never prints any out for me because I check for errors at each step before moving onto the next. For example after every query before I count rows I check if the query was succesffuly
    PHP Code:
    if( !$result ) { 

error_log(date('m/d/y@H:i') .-'MySQL Error ('$db->errno .') '$db->error .' Query: '$sql .' In: '__FILE__ .' on or before line #: '__LINE__); 

trigger_error('There was a problem with the database. Please try again later',E_USER_WARNING);
       break; 
    }
    if( !
    $result->num_rows ) {

trigger_error('No records found matching the criteria.',E_USER_WARNING);
       break;
    }
    // begin working with result 
    Course that's just personal habit. Actually I just use trigger_error as I have a custom error handler, but that gives you an idea I hope. Keep in mind that that is within a function, so break would keep it from going to the next step. IE if the result failed, i wont try to number the rows. Also a custom error handler can output errors of certain types however you want. See the manual on error handling. http://php.net/manual/en/book.errorfunc.php Also you can turn error_reporting off or raise the threshold to limit the errors shown. Personally I am not a fan of using the @supressor.

HTH
    ~Ryan
    www.rdennispallas.com <-- Personal Site, changing regularly cuz its ugly.

There's always:
    PHP Code:
    ini_set('display_errors'false); 
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Does that turn off all errors? And does it just keep PHP from displaying errors by itself? If I wanted to, could I still use:

PHP Code:
    echo $mysqli->error
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Witchard View Post
    Does that turn off all errors? And does it just keep PHP from displaying errors by itself? If I wanted to, could I still use:

PHP Code:
    echo $mysqli->error
    ?
    Yes, display_errors only affects errors generated by PHP, not code you explicitly call such as that. If you have a common config file that your application uses, you might want to use it to turn on display_errors when you need to debug, then set it back to false for normal production mode, so that errors are logged instead of displayed to the user.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Thread Information