www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Auto expand div height to children divs

Auto expand div height to children divs

Hey Guys,

so.. i have 1 parent DIV and about 10 child DIVs displayed vertically. I can't quite figure out how to work this the way i want it.

I set the parent DIV height to auto to expand, as the children DIVs heights differ, BUT I want to cut of the expand at 5 child DIVs and hide the rest using overflow.

I've tried setting the height of the parent DIV, but then one of the 5 child DIVs gets cut of in the middle by the hidden overflow, so i want to expand it to the end of the 5th child.

any ideas?
    "Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Have you tried setting a max-height on the parent DIV? You have to keep changing the pixels till' all 5 DIVs fit.

that i've tried. the problem though, is that these divs heights differ depending on the content dynamically randomly placed in there..

so there are 10 product boxes(child DIV) each contains different content under the product image that expands the height. 5 are randomly selected and placed at the top of the list, thats why i want to cut it off at 5.

Seeing as the height of the parent DIV depends on the height of the child DIVs, there's really no way to determine what the height of the parent DIV should be with CSS, you would have to resort to a JavaScript solution that likely calculates the height of the five child DIVs and gives the total height to the parent DIV.

im not real strong with javascript just yet.. but ill do some reasearch! thanks a lot. i figured JS would probably be the best path for this issue

Thread Information