Just starting out....
This has probably been posted before so i apologize in advanced.
I want to start a website similar to Myspace, Facebook, etc. Social Networking site.
I have my web hosting and domain with GoDaddy.
I have no clue where to start next. What is my next step?
I am assuming I need software to start building the website.
I would like it to be as free as possible and as easiest as possible.
Any direction will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
- Doesnt matter where you get your domain.
- Dont host through godaddy, plenty of other free hosters that are far far better.
- You say you need web software? Im guessing you arent a web developer. Set your sights far lower, you arent even ready to make a small website yet.
- Forget about social networking and sites similar to others. You dont have the skill yet to acomplish it. Furthermore, sites like facebook became what they are because in the first place, it was innovative, fresh, a new concept. Re-hashing the same concept is tiresome and will never work unless you have millions of dollars spare to compete head to head.
So in short, stop dreaming. It isnt offensive advice, it's advice you need to heed.
You don't need "software" to build the website ... you need a developer
You're question is as good as this one...
"I have a great idea for a new phone that can mow the grass. Are there any machines or tools out there that can make this happen?"
On a serious note, if you want to know how to start building websites, you'll want to get books on the following topics.
- PHP or another server side language
I'd recommend having the following programs installed:
- Notepad++ (coding)
- Adobe Photoshop (designing)
- Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari for testing
- XAMPP to host a server locally for development
I also recommend reading web development blogs. My favorite is www.smashingmagazine.com.
Good luck to you sir. There's no "free" and "easy" way about it!
I see that I do not write my thoughts out well and if you guys want to continue to bash me instead of provide insight, then so be it.
I have already purchased through GoDaddy.
I understand Facebook became big because of the "first" concept.
I do not want to build a Facebook but rather the features, components, functionality is what I was speaking about.
I have built webpages before but they were all static and 4 years ago.
When I mentioned software, I was speaking about something like Visual Studio 2008, Dreamweaver, regular old text editor.
I have a concept and I would like to act on it. I just never done something like this nor do I know where to start. I probably would hire a web developer eventually but like with any foundation, I would like to scoop the first shovel.
So then my 2nd post, the one that isn't "bashing" you, should be helpful
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)