www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Freight/Cargo Tracking Integration (assistance)

Freight/Cargo Tracking Integration (assistance)

Hey everyone,

I am new here, Just registered today when I should have registered a long time ago. But better late than never. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Cargo/Freight tracking. I guess you can say it is like UPS/USPS/FedEX but it is for the freight/cargos. Anyone know where I can read or help assist me with web integration for developing this?

Here is an example.

http://www.hamburgsud-line.com/ecomm...trace/?lang=en

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

p.s.

I have never done any integration with shipment tracking. A client of ours is requesting it so I am trying to do some research but since I have no experience with knowing where to find it. I thought I would ask the forums. Thanks

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you have an existing freight tracking system you need to integrate with? Or, do you need to develop a freight tracking system? (And integrate it.)
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you have an existing freight tracking system you need to integrate with? Or, do you need to develop a freight tracking system? (And integrate it.)
    Sorry I forgot to add that part. I currently do not have a freight tracking system. I'm not sure if there is already a software out there that allows me to integrate the Freight Tracking System already or would I have to develop it from scratch? I am developing a website and they are interested in having the Tracking System developed.

If the needs are relatively simple, it may be best to build from scratch. If you get a packaged solution, you'll get a lot of bells and whistles that you may not necessary need, which just stand to bloat the software and add complexity to your integration.

However, if your client has already used some software, it may be best to integrate with what they've already used. First step, I'd say, is to ask them what they've used and liked before for freight tracking. And, if they haven't used anything or aren't happy with what they've used, you just need to start gathering requirements.

The tough part will probably be the mechanism for getting tracking info into the system. They'll want to use barcodes or RFID or something. And, while scan-guns can probably provide pretty straightforward, keyboard-like input that'll work with a web app, generating the barcodes or ... doing whatever it is you need to do with the RFID initialization will probably be more difficult.

Google for logistics software -- possibly open source logistics software. Maybe take a look at some ERP solutions. But, take that first step though: ask the client what they've used and liked before.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Thread Information