www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CSS Validation: border radius won't validate

CSS Validation: border radius won't validate

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my CSS to validate as CSS3. I'm just stuck on border radius - validator states:

19 #cell1 Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 5px 5px
    19 #cell1 Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 5px 5px
    30 #cell3a, #cell3b Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 5px 5px
    30 #cell3a, #cell3b Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 5px 5px
    33 #cell3c_a, #cell3c_b Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 5px 5px
    33 #cell3c_a, #cell3c_b Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 5px 5px
    Q1. I'm not sure why it's trying to validate against CSS 2.1 as I want it to validate as CSS3 - even http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax/ includes border radius so why is the validator seemingly behind with the times?

Q2. "border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 5px 5px" - this appears to be no help at all. But exists in ...five pixels five pixels??? So confusing... please can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks guys

You have to choose the CSS3 option when validating your CSS. CSS 2.1 is the default option. border-radius will validate, but the vendor-specific properties will not because they are not valid CSS3, they are browser-specific properties that only the designated browsers support. You basically have to ignore the validation errors for the vendor-specific properties, that's one of the most common errors.

I knew it'd be something simple... it's been a long day! thanks!

You basically have to ignore the validation errors for the vendor-specific properties, that's one of the most common errors.
    Correct. And W3.org would do us a great favour if they would offer the option of validating such properties, or the option of ignoring them. Now I never use the css validator, while I do often use the html validator.
    R.,
    Frank

Please report back how suggestions worked out.

Thread Information