www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Open Link in Existing Tab

Open Link in Existing Tab

Hi

Does anybody know of a way to open a clicked link in an existing (already open) tab?

I know you can open in the current tab, open in a new tab but in an existing tab I'm not too sure about.

I thought target="tab name" would do the job but no luck with that.

As a bit of background, I am working on my own database backend function and rather than opening new tabs all the time I would like to move to and refresh an existing tab.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Well, if the tab was opened via JavaScript there may be a way.

Anything you do is going to be quite a bit of work though. This isn't really considered a "feature" of HTML and I know there is no easy way to do it.
    "If life gives you lemons, make delicious chocolate baked goods and have the world wonder how you did it." ~Anna McNutt

javascript and html have no knowledge of tabs. You can use target="_blank" to open the link in a new window, but it's still up to the browser how to handle such a link. I wouldn't want to use a web site that controls my tabs like you suggested. It would be annoying to click a link and lose whatever I had in the other tab.

Talking

What about popups?

I'm just saying that if the tab was generated by java script, you could use window.opener to check a function or use the variable set to create the new tab to access functions inside that new tab.

Sure some browser may open the popup in a new window, but many will open a new tab. Just exploring options here people.

Hope this gives some ideas!
    "If life gives you lemons, make delicious chocolate baked goods and have the world wonder how you did it." ~Anna McNutt

Thread Information