www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Tutorial Website

Tutorial Website

I'm building a website for tutorials. It will have CSS, html, javascript, php, and web design (photoshop, flash etc)

What I want is to be able to go onto something like;

http://www.domain.com/Tutorials/Photoshop/filename.php

Is it better to use PHP for the link? or should I create folders?
    Folder structure like;

Main Directory
    Tutorials
    Photoshop
    Flash
    Web Design
    Another Folder
    Etc Etc Etc

Or should I do it another way?

Basically, what's the best way to structure a website for tutorials,
    Is it better to make a folder with an index.php in it etc?

Anyone? I really need help with this as I'm building the website on photoshop just now :/

Good luck writing tutorials on how to build websites if you're struggling to build your own! BTW, build your website properly, don't use the Photoshop create website method.

I didn't say I couldn't build it or that I'm struggling. I'm simply asking what the best way to make the website would be, i.e using folders on my directory or using php.

Also, there's no such thing as a "proper" way to build a website. And don't advise me on how to build the layout. I design it in photoshop, slice up small bits of it, and hand-code it with those small images.

Quote Originally Posted by forbsie1888 View Post
    Also, there's no such thing as a "proper" way to build a website. And don't advise me on how to build the layout. I design it in photoshop, slice up small bits of it, and hand-code it with those small images.
    The internet is chock full of these things. It doesn't need yet another "tutorial" written by someone who is too lost to even know how lost he is.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

I don't care what's on the internet? And I'm not too lost in anything. I'm simply asking what the best way is for doing what I want it to do. I don't really give a flying monkey how many websites there are for tutorials etc. I'm doing it because it'll help students in the college class.

For any other idiot wanting to reply... if you don't have an answer for what the question is, then don't reply. Regardless of how many websites for tutorials there are, or whatever method you deem "proper" in terms of designing. I know how to design, I know how to code.

So either answer with the best way to do the tutorials in terms of a folder for tutorials, then 3 sub folders for like photoshop, flash and dreamweaver... or if there's a better way to structure it.

I think you may be looking for what some people call "slugs". Most people will use an htaccess file to make URLs more understandable for users without the need to create a bunch of folders.

What you are looking for is mod_rewrite, it is a function of the Apache web server.

Mod_rewrite allows you to set alias urls to access real locations, like domain.com/tutorials/php/name/

goes to:

domain.com/index.php?action=tutorials&cat=php&id=name

Check this out:
    http://www.easymodrewrite.com/

You most likely should store your tutorials in a MySQL database to make it easier to add tutorials and display them.
    Last edited by mikeroq; 08-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Thread Information