www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Chrome Distorts Page

Angry Chrome Distorts Page

Hey!

I just bought the website SuperIQTest.com and wrote the entire website's code myself. I developed it using notepad. When I uploaded the files to the website, everything looked fine in Internet Explorer and Firefox, however Google Chrome messes up my layout.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks so much

Unhappy No.

No, I don't know why, but here's some advice:

Google Chrome follows web standards more closely than firefox. Not that firefox is a bad browser (it's been made very popular for it's addons), but it's just not as caught up.

If you build a website for FireFox, you will find that it's definitely possible (don't get me wrong, I've done it before) but it will not be compatible with a browser that has the NEWER standards.

However, if you build a website on Google Chrome (which is rated and tested higher than any other browser. Currently.), you already know your website complies with the web standards, all you have to do is debug it for the other browsers.

Why is this better? When the other browsers up their standards (you know it's got to happen sometime), you already have a plan in place. Also, rather than re-engineering your WHOLE website to be up-to-date, it's actually (believe it or not) EASIER to re-engineer the PARTS of the website that don't work in other browsers.

Who's ahead? Like I said, Google Chrome. Proof?

Here Is the latest test (it's HTML5)
    Here Is a reference on all of the browsers. Yes, some browsers come ahead of Chrome in some areas, but if you actually tally the differences (I did - call me a geek), you'll be astonished at your results.

Anyway, Sorry you have to deal with that.

As for your question, I tinkered around with it. I seemed to get closer by adding style="position:absolute;float:left" to the first table. It's not quite right, but I think its a step in the right direction. It seems that, after adding that styling, the second table wants to center itself. I noticed a "image-align:center;" in your css file, but I didn't try removing it, so I don't know what it does. It's REALLY hard to mess Google Chrome up like that without purposefully doing it, so I can't imagine exactly what you did.

Good Luck.

Thread Information