dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: PHP GTK to ByteCode

PHP GTK to ByteCode

Has anyone gotten a PHP GTK program to compile into bytecode?

I am having some issues compiling the package with the C compiler (I don't really know how to work one). So... It does seem odd, basically the GTK helps by provided access to a native window system, and by compiling it into bytecode it can run on a JVM (platform independent) and will no longer require the operating system to have PHP installed.

Why someone wouldn't want this awesome functionality is beyond me.

I haven't even gotten the GTK to work yet, let along turn a program into bytecode. Any help would be awesome. I am doing the install on Ubuntu Natty 32bit.

Afraid I never got very far with GTK. I started looking at it for a little (unfunded) project I was thinking of, got to the point where I'd downloaded GTK and started installing it and reading the docs -- at which point my head hurt so much that I just built the app as a "normal" PHP web app I could run locally. If you come up with any great info on how to get up to speed with it, I'd like to know, however.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I finally got the GTK working. Now... lets see about making it into bytecode so I can launch it from a jar.

For windows: http://emsmith.net/gtk/php-gtk-5.3.zip

For Ubuntu: http://squirrelshaterobots.com/progr...-on-ubuntu-10/

For everything else: irc://freenode.net/#php-gtk

------ BCompiler ------

I would avoid it, completely did NOT work. I am not even sure if this has anything to do with Java at all, moreover there are incredible restrictions. The whole jar idea is probably out the window... I don't think this BCompiler is finished, and I don't think it will remotely work with the GTK even when it is.

This is useful for protecting source code (maybe), but I don't see it doing anything else. Am I using it wrong?

------ HipHop ------

I'll try hiphop next. But I'm even more skeptical than bcompiler. Plus the entire point of bytecode is to make it independent of architecture and platform. Worth a shot I guess.

------ Last Resort -----

I suppose I could make a wrapper installer to install PHP + GTK alongside the application I intend to build... but that is miles from the portable application like I was hoping for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eval(BadCode); 08-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eval(BadCode) View Post
    I finally got the GTK working. Now... lets see about making it into bytecode so I can launch it from a jar.

For windows: http://emsmith.net/gtk/php-gtk-5.3.zip

For Ubuntu: http://squirrelshaterobots.com/progr...-on-ubuntu-10/

For everything else: irc://freenode.net/#php-gtk

------ BCompiler ------

I would avoid it, completely did NOT work. I am not even sure if this has anything to do with Java at all, moreover there are incredible restrictions. The whole jar idea is probably out the window... I don't think this BCompiler is finished, and I don't think it will remotely work with the GTK even when it is.

This is useful for protecting source code (maybe), but I don't see it doing anything else. Am I using it wrong?

------ HipHop ------

I'll try hiphop next. But I'm even more skeptical than bcompiler. Plus the entire point of bytecode is to make it independent of architecture and platform. Worth a shot I guess.

------ Last Resort -----

I suppose I could make a wrapper installer to install PHP + GTK alongside the application I intend to build... but that is miles from the portable application like I was hoping for.
    I would go with the last resort. However, I would just check for the existence of the required libs and download them as needed to prevent installer bloat (especially for upgrades). This may not be possible depending on your specific implementation details, but it is worth being said in case it is practical.

Thread Information