www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: After HTML and CSS...where to next??

Question After HTML and CSS...where to next??

I have just finished a great book on learning HTML and CSS, but has left me with a lot of questions.

The main one being, logically where to go next? I'm trying to start a web development project (I have another person to take care of design) but can't get a good answer on what I will actually need to know!

If I go through a web hosting company to host my site does that take care of the whole server-side of things? Should I learn PHP, MySQL, anything else?? I'm just a complete rookie and need some guidance here.

Thanks for any help people x

What do you want to do?

You can email me "myusername"@gmail.com
    Natdrip :P
    "water go down the hole" - plucky duck

The main one being, logically where to go next?
    Simple. Just learn how to have menus, headers, footers, etc. loaded automatically with PHP includes, via http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_includes.asp. Then start making sites for family and friends, as learning projects. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you choose web servers with PHP running.

An HTML code editor that has a built-in PHP server is WeBuilder, http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/. You need to have a PHP server on your machine, otherwise you cannot test locally.
    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

Javascript (not jQuery, but actual Javascript). You will also need to know PHP and a general understanding of MySQL (or some other database) helps as well.

Don't get me wrong, jQuery is the bomb, but if you learn jQuery, then you won't know how to use Javascript when jQuery isn't available or when you're required/requested to use a different Javascript library.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    Javascript (not jQuery, but actual Javascript). You will also need to know PHP and a general understanding of MySQL (or some other database) helps as well. (...) if you learn jQuery, then you won't know how to use Javascript when jQuery isn't available or when you're required/requested to use a different Javascript library.
    Come on. The guy just finished his first HTML/CSS book. Let him get experienced in that, with the use of includes. Having him learn to write javascript is ridiculous at this stage.

Regarding MySQL, it suffices to know that that is a database technique. But you won't be making any sites with a database behind it, if you're a newbie. At least I would advise you to stay with regular websites, for the time being.
    How to: Target IE in, Position in, Center in, Create a Fixed ('Sticky') Footer with, and Create a Drop-Down/Fly-Out Menu with CSS: Website Laten Maken Amsterdam.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Im just starting a computer science degree at uni and have been looking to do some developing for a while. I have a friend who's a professional graphic designer and works with web design so its a bit of a business opportunity, something to keep me afloat at uni at least.

I'm aiming to provide to small businesses for now, as I'm also a certified PC technician so I guess its the basics I have to master.

I'm now taking the decision to learn PHP, MySql and Javascript. (from a book for now until my web development module).

Further suggestions are very welcome!
    Cheers

asp and asp.net exist. Somewhere down the road I'd at least look at those because some companies will want everything M$ in which case you wouldn't be doing any php and mysql.

However, it seems like everywhere I look there is a need for website and web application developers and many dev's will use html, css, php, javascript, and mysql. Those are the main ones I keep focusing on because together those technologies can make so much possible.

I'd say keep practicing and learning the html and css because one book won't get you past all the browser bugs. At the same time, pick up a PHP book which will probably have some mysql in it in the later chapters. But on the side, work on learning some javascript. I started with jquery but had to go back and learn beginner javascript because of things I can't do with jquery.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank62 View Post
    Come on. The guy just finished his first HTML/CSS book. Let him get experienced in that, with the use of includes. Having him learn to write javascript is ridiculous at this stage.

Regarding MySQL, it suffices to know that that is a database technique. But you won't be making any sites with a database behind it, if you're a newbie. At least I would advise you to stay with regular websites, for the time being.
    My complete bad, I kind of just skimmed over the title thinking the OP felt quite comfortable with HTML/CSS so I was suggesting logical next steps. My fault completely, should've paid more attention.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Javascript or PHP
    or i think HTML5

choose waht ever u want

I'd suggest that you get through the entire set of 'client-side' programming with JS, and then move on to 'server-side' programming. That's the usual logical step when studying web development.
    Start your website today at LiveCity

Thanks so much for all your advice people. I've ordered this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-MyS.../dp/0596157134 which seems to encompass the bits I should get stuck into next.

This field is changing so fast, that most printed sources find themselves outdated way too fast. If possible, use online resources - it's much easier to change an online article than to reprint a book
    Start your website today at LiveCity

Thread Information