www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: company views on w3schools certifications?

company views on w3schools certifications?

Hey all,

I recently looked at w3schools certifications here http://www.w3schools.com/cert/default.asp

I took several practice quizzes which were very basic in my opinion and aced them.

Now I'm wondering how companies feel about these certs from w3school. Would they be worth the money? They say the exams are taken online and it's up to me to get a employer or teacher to supervise and have there name on the certification as the supervisor to add to the credibility of the cert.

I'm thinking as a division of the World Wide Consortium they would be extremely credible at least as proof of knowledge of the basics.

When asking friends opinions they quickly sent me a link to w3fools.com and said NO! but in looking at w3fools.com I quickly lost any respect for what they had to say about any subject because of the poor way they present their argument.

So I feel like asking the question here where anyone can post their opinion and state their reasons and have those opinions and reasons scrutinized is probably the best way to come up with an answer. Not to mention the fact that real developers with real world experience can offer their input here.

Thanks for any advise.

Quote Originally Posted by iansane6 View Post
    I'm thinking as a division of the World Wide Consortium they would be extremely credible at least as proof of knowledge of the basics.
    W3Schools is actually not associated with the W3C in any way. They were just clever enough to pick a similar sounding name.

Now I'm wondering how companies feel about these certs from w3school. Would they be worth the money? They say the exams are taken online and it's up to me to get a employer or teacher to supervise and have there name on the certification as the supervisor to add to the credibility of the cert.
    I don't know of any company with a favorable view of W3Schools certifications. Putting it on your resume or mentioning it during an interview may even hurt rather than help you.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Oh wow. Thanks Jeff. For the longest time I thought they were a division of w3c. I'm pretty sure the first time I visited their site was because an instructor showed it to me in a html class and I could swear they said it was a site provided by w3c. And I've blindly assumed they were ever since. I never read the "about" section where it says they are owned by Refsnes Data.

Thank you for pointing that out to me. Funny thing is I have to go correct myself in a facebook discussion now.

So where is the best place to acquire certifications for web design?

So where is the best place to acquire certifications for web design?
    Honestly, I don't think there are any. Probably the best you can do is drop a few keywords in your resume that would indicate a high skill level. (And at the interview, be prepared to fully explain anything that you've put on your resume.)

Came across a link to these guys while looking to see if comptia had a web dev cert. http://www.ciwcertified.com/Store/design.php

They are pretty expensive to not know if employers respect there cert.

So I guess a good thing to do would be to have some good demos set up specifically for show casing my skills and put the url on my resume and, as you said Jeff, be well prepared to talk about anything they might question in the interview.

The point here is to make the employer believe I'm a good web developer and one they should hire and demonstration of skills proves more than a certificate. Still, I think certifications are a good thing if they are from widely known and respected authorities on the subject.

They are pretty expensive to not know if employers respect there cert. ... I think certifications are a good thing if they are from widely known and respected authorities on the subject.
    Exactly. Because if you say in an interview, "CIW certifies that I'm skilled in XYZ," and the interviewer says, "Who's CIW?" then immediately you know that the certification has no value at all.

If the W3C itself truly certified developers, that could be valuable. Or if prominent and respected people in the Web world, such as Doug Crockford or Steve Souders, vouched for a select few people, that could be valuable.

But, unfortunately, I don't know of any widely respected authority that offers certifications. As far as I know, one doesn't exist. And any money you spend for a certification from some random organization is almost certainly going to be money wasted.

The only certification available that might matter at all is a college degree, and even then, it's 50/50 whether the employer will care.
    Last edited by Jeff Mott; 08-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Ah yes, the college degree. My degrees are in network administration and database administration but I know some people who went the web dev route. I have to say, without proof that they continued their web dev education after college I would not give much credit to their degree. Now this is only for a couple of colleges I can speak of. Other colleges/universities may have much better programs but the ones I know of don't go much farther than w3schools basic html and then show you how to slice an image in photoshop and import it into dreamweaver. I know one person who designs web sites and gets paid big time money for them because she went beyond college courses. But even she has no clue about php, javascript, jquery, etc. She's just really good at graphic design, flash, and non functional websites.

Knowing what I know about the web classes at my college I'm glad it wasn't until after I got far into my degree program that I developed an interest in web development. Otherwise I might have wasted a lot of time and money on some lousy classes just to get the degree.

Ah yes, the college degree. My degrees are in network administration and database administration but I know some people who went the web dev route.
    Turns out, it doesn't even much matter what you majored in. You could have graduated with a degree in English Lit, and that would've been good enough.

I have to say, without proof that they continued their web dev education after college I would not give much credit to their degree.
    I completely agree. I, personally, don't give much credit to a college degree. But, none-the-less, some employers do. Sometimes, resumes are filtered by college degree, and if you don't have one, your resume might never reach a human.

Thread Information