www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How compatible are PNG images?

How compatible are PNG images?

Just curious, how compatible are png images with web browsers? I tried my html with a png image in my old desktop running Windows XP SP2 and it showed with transparency replaced with some horrible color.

I'm pretty sure the only issue is with IE <= 6.

So you're saying it's safe to use png images with transparency?

Not exactly. I'm saying that it's an issue that's mostly isolated to IE <= 6. So, you need to look at your visitor stats and determine whether you have an issue with N% of your users having an issue.

Know what I mean?

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I was curious though if there's actually a stat somewhere on how many people out there use older browsers that don't support PNG/transparency and newer CSS?

You can snag some generalized stats from various places, but they're not necessarily representative of your site's visitors. Browser "preference" varies drastically by site content/theme and your target visitors' location. If you were developing a site targeted pretty evenly across the Indian population, you'd want to avoid using PNGs:

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

If your site will be visited by the "generic" US demographic, it's only about 1.7%. And if that stat is representative of your visitors, it's still a judgement call: given the function/topic of your site, is it OK to present a less-than optimal experience to 1.7% of your visitors? Will they mind? Will you mind if they mind?

Of course, if your site is targeted to more IT-savvy home-users, your percentage will probably be much lower than 1.7%. If it's targeted at business users, it'll probably be much higher than 1.7%, potentially breaking the threshold of debatability.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_v...108-201108-bar

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

StatCounter has IE6's global usage at just over 3&#37; this month. That's pretty good 95% of that is coming from China where 38% of the browser hits are from IE6.

Nobody uses IE6 anymore, and by nobody, I mean nobody that matters - unless of course your website is catering to Chinese government employees.

Thank you, both. Very interesting. It's a big puzzle for me why people still use older browsers (especially when they are free.) Note that this is not a question

As for not using PNG images, it becomes very cumbersome to add (modern looking) graphics to your web site without them. Of cource one can compose them in a Photoshop and save as JPEG and even GIF, but then you're basically hardcoding it to the background of your site, making images larger in size, etc. And I'm not talking about losing quality with older formats.

What do you do in your sites (about transparency in images)?

Quote Originally Posted by dc2000 View Post
    What do you do in your sites (about transparency in images)?
    I generally don't have time to give a damn. Folks on IE6 can upgrade if they want to use my sites.

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    I generally don't have time to give a damn. Folks on IE6 can upgrade if they want to use my sites.
    Absolutely. The company I work for stopped supporting IE6 well over a year ago. Developing for 1-2&#37; of users (those on IE6) would add an additional 20-30% of time to development, minimum. The math doesn't make sense.

Thread Information