www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to select multiple files and upload them

Question How to select multiple files and upload them

How to select multiple files from the dialog box in the browser like in yahoo attachments or facebook photo upload.

When we use <file > tag we can select only one file and upload it but how to select multiple files and upload them once on the server.

I found plupload and uploadify and fancy upload use javascript libraries and flash plugin to do this but is there a way to make our own upload plugin which can do this work.

Quote Originally Posted by ranjan1991 View Post
    When we use <file > tag we can select only one file and upload it but how to select multiple files and upload them once on the server.
    Not true, HTML5 and most modern browsers allow a boolean "multiple" attribute on the <input type="file"> tag that allows multiple files to be selected. This is the way I would go, or dynamically create new file inputs, if required, for older browsers.

Alternatively, there's SWFUpload. Honestly, I (naively no doubt) abhor flash and all things flash related so I've never tried it before, but it seems fairly straightforward.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

No AJ you're right, HTML5 > Flash No Naivety involved
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

but html5 doesn't work for older browser and many people using them cannot upload multiple files...so thanks AJ for swfupload but can anyone tell how to make such swf file for uploading or how to make the whole system for uploading multiple files through flash.....

Of course it does Ranjan. Just use ChromeFrame.
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

but this requires them to downlaod chrome frame and then use html5 canvas.....so flash's good because everybody now has flash installed but not chromeframe...

but this requires them to downlaod chrome frame and then use html5 canvas.....so flash's good because everybody now has flash installed but not chromeframe...
    Not for iPad/iPhone users.

My point - you're never going to give absolutely everybody an identical experience on your website. To strive for such a goal is absolutely insane. Recognize what your acceptable fallbacks are and use those.

I'm not saying use, or don't use flash - it depends on you. A stringent developer who likes to stay on the cutting edge of things would probably opt for HTML5 upload while an organization like Facebook wants a solution that satisfies the largest number of people (and would likely use HTML5 with a flash fallback - at least, that's what I would do if I were them).
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

thanks AJ and ehime.....Guys do you also know how to make an email client in php like yahoo-mail or gmail.

I am currently going through IMAP functions in php that would be used to retrieve emails into the table and the php mail() function will be used to send the mail....

Is this the right way or there are more better/easy/efficient way to amke an email client for web.

thanks AJ and ehime.....Guys do you also know how to make an email client in php like yahoo-mail or gmail.
    Start with approximately $2 million dollars and a team of about 10 developers.....
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Let me get this right... your willing to sacrifice using the most up to date technologies to achieve your goal just to appease the people who fail at keeping their own browsers up to date..? Cant have it all, might as well give it to the people that will make your site more powerful than those trying to view it in IE6
    Cmon bro

^ What he said.

I am currently going through IMAP functions in php that would be used to retrieve emails into the table and the php mail() function will be used to send the mail....

Is this the right way or there are more better/easy/efficient way to amke an email client for web.
    And literally, this made my eyes cross....
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    Start with approximately $2 million dollars and a team of about 10 developers.....
    Reminds me of potential web customers "We don't have a lot of money to start with, but we'd like to have a site like ebay..."

Thread Information