www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Name Based Virtual Hosts on Apache on W2003

Name Based Virtual Hosts on Apache on W2003

Hi folks,

I have a little experience with IIS and DNS on W2003 which I have set up on a development server at home. In my job we are now using Apache rather than IIS, and I want to change my way of working at home to reflect this.

Basically then, I have a server with 2 NIC's, I have a DNS server set up on one and Apache on the other. I am trying to set up a name based internal network and have hosts configured thus:

NIC 192.168.3.11 (DNS)
    dev.mydomain.com 192.168.3.11 (host)
    dns.mydomain.com 192.168.3.11 (alias)

NIC 192.168.3.21 (Apache)
    phptesting.mydomain.com (host) 192.168.3.22
    perltesting.mydomain.com (host) 192.168.3.23

Forward and reverse DNS is configured for the hosts, the NIC's use static addressing and are set to query the internal DNS server first with an ISP's DNS server as a secondary source of DNS.

The NIC's are configured to listen for the IP addresses relevant to the services and sites I am hosting, Windows Firewall is also configured to allow the DNS service and HTTP/HTTPS connections.

Ping and nslookup all seem to check out correctly, replies and the correct IP address/hostname combinations are given when I run queries.

My problem is that I am not able to see the site (via standard web browser request - phptesting.mydomain.com) because of 403 errors, and I have a feeling this is to do with the way I have set up Apache (v2.2 - installed via XAMPP). Anyone have any experience with this and know what files I should edit, and how I can get W2003 DNS and Apache to serve name based virtual hosts?

The exact error I am getting is:

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
    Error 403

phptesting.mydomain.com

9/20/2011 8:31:55 PM

Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8o PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
    There is an index document, and the directory shouldn't be read protected as I haven't configured it that way, as far as I know.

Any help much appreciated,
    Thanks.
    Last edited by A_Tame_Lion; 09-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Thread Information