www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Trying to place Image/HTML anywhere in Dreamweaver?

Trying to place Image/HTML anywhere in Dreamweaver?

I am use to MS Publisher and new to Dreamweaver cs5.5. I just want to drag an image to a random spot in the layout and place it there (which I can do in pulisher) but dreamweaver keeps aligning it to text or justifying it to something on the page. I want to just drag the image and drop it anywhere in the page reguardless of other objects on the page. How can I do this?

I also want to insert some HTML code in a random location but here again it only will let me align or associate it with something already in the layout. Can this be done in Dreamweaver? MS Publisher allows you to create code and simply drop it anywhere in the layout and will render it there when published.

Thanks
    Bob

Your issue isn't so much with Dreamweaver as it is with how HTML and webpages work in general. I don't really have any experience with MS Publisher but if I'm not mistaken it's more for print publishing, where it's easy to say "place this image 2 inches from the left and one inch down from the top." The problem with the web is you don't know how big a person's screen is, what resolution they have it set to, what their default font style, size, color, etc. is... The list goes on and can cause a headache.

If you absolutely must position your images (or anything else for that matter) in that manner you want to use an AP Div, an Absolute Positioned Div tag. You can insert one by going to "Insert -> Layout Objects -> AP Div" (I'm basing that off of my Mac but I think it's the same on a PC). You can specify basically anything you want about the AP Div. For instance you could set a width and height or have it set automatically by the size of whatever you put in it, like an image. You can put anything you want inside an AP Div and then Dreamweaver will let you move it around on the screen like you're describing.

HOWEVER! It's generally considered a really, REALLY bad idea to use AP Divs too much. Like I said, you can't control what settings the viewers of your site are using so you might use AP Divs to put everything in it's place and it looks great on your computer, but on another computer, the default font might take up just a bit more room, or their screen might be just a bit smaller, and all your text and images and everything will be flowing all over each other.

Go here: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/play...reval=absolute and keep an eye on the red box as you play with the size of the window, you should see what I mean.

Better ways of controlling the positioning of images and other elements exist, but they can get complicated. You'd need to read up on CSS to really get a good understanding because, unfortunately, positioning tends to be one of the more confusing/frustrating topics (well, I'm hoping it was wasn't just me! ).

If you're still reading this, and interested in learning an easier way to do at least simple layouts, try tables. That approach is very outdated but much simpler to understand. You can just make a table with no border and you'll see the cells in Dreamweaver, then place images or whatever into different cells to get them into the right position. This still isn't a great way to tackle the problem but if you just need to get a page up with stuff positioned more or less where you want, it's an option. If you're trying to get more serious about web design, you really need to learn CSS.

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the reply, that was quite helpful.

Bob

Thread Information