www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Identify what software was used to create the website?

Question Identify what software was used to create the website?

I am “inheriting” a website developed by someone else and will now need to maintain it. I’m new enough in this process to not know how to tell what software was used to create the site. I have looked at the source code and it doesn’t show anything in the header. I have imported into the program I have used, Serif, and of course it’s a jumble. I have also tried to bring it into Frontpage (yes, it’s old)… Is there any other suggestion out there?

So the question is, how can I tell what was used to create the website?

Good developers don't use any software at all . They just use a good text editor.

So, to answer your question, if it's not clear in the source, then you won't be able to tell what was used to create the website.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Haha, you're right, but I don't think the woman that did this site is that deep into it. She is the artist type and is very good at that part of it. The graphics and images on the site are wonderful.

I was able to import it into (an old version of) FrontPage. I should be able to do what I need to do that way. At least until I get good enough to just use a text editor!

Thanks again!

Unless it was done using a tool that explicitly placed that info into the <head> tag somewhere and was left there, no. Frontpage, even it's last days before becoming Web Expression, was notorious for adding in bloated code. I personally use Eclipse Helios. If a piece of code is in a file, it's because I put it there.

Ok, thanks. What I thought.

Thanks, too, for the insight regarding Frontpage (and others like it). Who'd have thought that Microsoft would put out bloated software?

Will look at Eclipse Helios, too...

Thanks, guys, for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    Good developers don't use any software at all . They just use a good text editor.
    Hehe ... a text editor isn't software?
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Hello,
    You can work on Adobe CS5
    It is amazing for you, you can develop and design , it is also a text-editor with full suggestion in every programming language like, C c++, java and many more.
    I also made my Website Redesign Services site on this for my company and its looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    Hehe ... a text editor isn't software?

You know what I mean

They don't use a GUI editor.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Nice one cbVision. You are quite right about that.

Thread Information