www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Thoughts on Flash

Thoughts on Flash

I know what you're all thinking already, "Death to those blasted Flash intros! Kill them all!" And I couldn't agree more, however, I'm curious about what people think about in regards to using Flash for developing a website.

It tends to be one of those things that is more abused and misused. Many sites use it for the sake of making their site more flashy, if you'll excuse the pun. However, I've seen some really great sites that have used Flash, and it tends to create a much more dynamic environment that has potential to really captivate users. A good example is Chipotle's site www.chipotle.com *momentarily drools as images of succulent burritos dance in his head*

IMHO, this is a spectacular site. It conveys the company's fun image better than anything else I could think of, frankly.

So, Flash can be used very effectively in some cases, but what do you all think about using Flash for website development, in general? What sucks and/or rocks about it? When would you use it, and when would you advise against it? Is this more dynamic style of web design going to become the norm or is it merely a passing fad?

Three uber long posts and he's not even breaking a sweat,
    Dusty.

PS - Pardon the broken link above. For some reason I can't get it to work. So, just C&P the address into your browser. Sorry for the hassle
    Last edited by stickyjellypoo; 01-12-2004 at 12:56 PM.
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch!" - W.C. Fields

http://www.chipotle.com

I would still prefer a site that has more info upfront than that one does.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

Personally, i hate flash intros. I also dont like Flash effects when a page loads , and i dont like menus that dont have the names of the link staring at me (like the vegetable menu thing on chipotle)

Hm... perhaps a different example. Here's one.

www.lordoftherings.net
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch!" - W.C. Fields

I think Flash can be good sometimes when used correctly, but I don't believe building an entire site using it is a good idea. Reasons for this are primarily because your site becomes less accessible and usable. I'd say Flash should be used just like graphics should be used — for added visuals only. Another thing I've been seeing is Flash used for navigation, yet another bad use of it for the exact same reason.
    Last edited by fredmv; 01-12-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Artsy

I think if the web page is more based on art, and advertising, I would go with flash. If its more database drivin' or technology etc. I would go else where

Thread Information