dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Pathetic Javascript language can't sort an array!

Pathetic Javascript language can't sort an array!

<script defer>

arr=new Array()
    arr[0]='45'
    arr[1]='223'
    arr[2]='672'
    arr[3]='664'
    arr[4]='23'
    arr[5]='!b'
    arr[6]='@b'
    arr[7]='mansion'

arr.sort()
    alert(arr)
    </script>

returns !b,223,23,45,664,672,@b,mansion while it is supposed to return
    !b,@b,23,45,223,664,672,mansion . This is the 100000000000000 bug in this piece of **** language.

The ASCII value of '@' is 64, which is the highest value for the first characters in all of the elements in your array and why JavaScript puts it last.

The moral of the story here is think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrethewey View Post
    The ASCII value of '@' is 64, which is the highest value for the first characters in all of the elements in your array and why JavaScript puts it last.
    I need to sort values like system sorts files, not some non standard ASC|| bull****. If I create files and sort them by name, '@' file will stand before any numerically named file. Check the picture. http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6131/sortl.jpg @b file stands before 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    This would not help even if I wanted to sort in ASC|| way. I get Number Expected error (Line 171) and it does not sort. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphchadkirk View Post
    The moral of the story here is think before you post.
    Provide the solution first kid.

If you don't like the default sorting function in JavaScript as defined in the standard, provide your own sorting function. That's why sort accepts a function! And as you seem to be unaware or uninterested, Windows does not have one consistent sorting order, in fact, it has an apparantly "intuitive sort" occasionaly. And why would you expect someone to help you when you constantly complain about the language? It's difficult enough to use a language that has multiple definitions on multiple platforms without complaining about what is implemented correctly!

BTW, you haven't even discovered all the "bugs" yet!
    Last edited by Declan1991; 10-22-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by select View Post
    This would not help even if I wanted to sort in ASC|| way. I get Number Expected error (Line 171) and it does not sort. Pathetic.
    You obviously didn't read the tutorial.

You can always build your own sorting function; there are several popular methods. I tend to use two arrays and loop through (the first) to find the max or min (adding it to the second) until all entires have moved from one (the first) to another (the second).

Quote Originally Posted by select
    look at the example given at the end of the tutorial. It returns:

!b 23 45 223 664 672 @b mansion

for numeric sorting, which seems to be pretty close to what you want. I guess you will have to code some sort of exception for @

Thread Information