dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: unsubscribe by default

unsubscribe by default

maybe this is the wrong section, but I can't seem to turn off subscriptions as default. every time someone posts on a thread I have posted to I get an email, which is boring.

or else I have to unsubscribe from threads every time I post to them, which is also boring.

I've been all over the CP but can't find the button to hit... a little help please?

Yeah I find this really annoying too. I am sure that the telecom regs that govern the Internet have standards that state that you have to be asked to OPT-IN like SMS text messages with mobile phones.

I can understand "On by Default" for the original thread starter but those who are making a reply do not necessarily require or want replies.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    Yeah I find this really annoying too. I am sure that the telecom regs that govern the Internet have standards that state that you have to be asked to OPT-IN like SMS text messages with mobile phones.

I can understand "On by Default" for the original thread starter but those who are making a reply do not necessarily require or want replies.
    I for one like that I get notified so I'll know when to come back. I thought there was a setting in your profile somewhere about your specific default subscription settings?

I don't know, things change on here and you can't tell, its been a few months since I been a regular because of my job but a change in hours means that I am now able to reacquaint myself with JS, etc.

What I don't like is "The assumption" that I want to be subscribed to something when I don't in general. If I make a post and want to go back to it, I go to my post history and find the thread in my posts. IMHO thread subscription is an annoyance and waste of server resources. I am sure if you got a bean counter on the job, they would be able to tell and convert in to a monetary value just how much "Subscription" is costing in transaction times and that is an amount that could be saved.

I don't know, things change on here and you can't tell, its been a few months since I been a regular because of my job but a change in hours means that I am now able to reacquaint myself with JS, etc.

What I don't like is "The assumption" that I want to be subscribed to something when I don't in general. If I make a post and want to go back to it, I go to my post history and find the thread in my posts. IMHO thread subscription is an annoyance and waste of server resources. I am sure if you got a bean counter on the job, they would be able to tell and convert in to a monetary value just how much "Subscription" is costing in transaction times and that is an amount that could be saved.
    IMHO, the default subscribe is generally used as a means to get people to visit your site more often than they might otherwise. On a site that is monetized solely on ad revenue each additional visit is much better than not having a visit. So if you were to count the beans you might find that though for a minority of regulars the default setting might be a minor annoyance, it is a way to increase the revenue stream without needing to recruit new users and barely affects the bottom line as far as costs go.

actually, I take that back - I found the option in the CP. It's under Settings & Options>Edit Options>Messaging & Notification>Default Thread Subscription Mode

happy now

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    IMHO, the default subscribe is generally used as a means to get people to visit your site more often than they might otherwise. On a site that is monetized solely on ad revenue each additional visit is much better than not having a visit. So if you were to count the beans you might find that though for a minority of regulars the default setting might be a minor annoyance, it is a way to increase the revenue stream without needing to recruit new users and barely affects the bottom line as far as costs go.
    Sorry but I don't just see how me replying to a thread that I have will result to more people visiting. Advert revenue is paid per click, I have yet to see adverts pay per imprint, so revenue will largely depend on the links being clicked.

So basically you have to put up with the annoyance when you reply to a thread because it turns on again when you reply to a thread so you have to go to the bother of turning it off again and then manually un-subscribe from all those threads. I could understand this for the original thread starter who IS looking for a reply, however, it should not be imposed on someone JUST because they reply to that thread.

IF they have a default off switch for members who can then turn on individual threads to subscription when needed and the thread starter is automatically subscribed, I could understand that model. I certainly do not understand how emailing me is helping the site gain more visitors, its not, its filling up my email box. Maybe if the PM's were not limited to such a small number then subscriptions could go to the users PM box.

Sorry but I don't just see how me replying to a thread that I have will result to more people visiting. Advert revenue is paid per click, I have yet to see adverts pay per imprint, so revenue will largely depend on the links being clicked.

So basically you have to put up with the annoyance when you reply to a thread because it turns on again when you reply to a thread so you have to go to the bother of turning it off again and then manually un-subscribe from all those threads. I could understand this for the original thread starter who IS looking for a reply, however, it should not be imposed on someone JUST because they reply to that thread.

IF they have a default off switch for members who can then turn on individual threads to subscription when needed and the thread starter is automatically subscribed, I could understand that model. I certainly do not understand how emailing me is helping the site gain more visitors, its not, its filling up my email box. Maybe if the PM's were not limited to such a small number then subscriptions could go to the users PM box.
    Some ads pay per view rather than by click so just you returning to the site could generate revenue. Also, a user who isn't visiting the site has no probability of clicking an ad.

As said by xelawho however, you can change your default in your CP.

Thread Information