www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] ASP Forms

resolved [RESOLVED] ASP Forms

Hello,

Does anyone know of an entire book just on creating forms in Classic ASP?

ASP forms really do not exist. Forms are pretty much an HTML thing although you can integrate ASP with your forms there's really not a lot to it unless you're using AJAX to populate certain fields via ASP.

Ah,

Perhaps I could have said: Is there a book on the way ASP 3.0 handles HTML forms?

I doubt there would be an entire book devoted to it. It would be a very small book.

Do you have particular questions about form handling?

Well, I guess if we were just talking about throwing some forms controls on a static HTTP page, there wouldn't be much to write about. What good is an static HTTP form (answer: not much). Oh, and to answer your question: "Yes, I have many particular questions about form handling." Here are some things to consider with forms ( from a Microsoft Centric point of view ):

Determine
    There are many side technologies that accompany secure web forms. First we create our form. How we do that will depend on the purpose for collecting the information from the user (that alone can go into many topics). This in turn dictates what information will be collected. Ok, the easy part is over.

Next: Validate and Secure the form.

Validate:
    How do we do that? Prevalidation with javascript and server-side (in this case asp) validation. My thinking is this: Since we have to validate the information on the sever-side anyway, forget the javascript unless you want to add some cool "onMouseOver" stuff. I leave javascript to the design and manipulation of content, not database functionality. So I will use asp to validate the form. Ok, the RegExp object does a great job of checking to see if the data entered into the fields on the form is correct (we could go into detail here).

Secure
    How to secure a form. Now we can get into SSL and any other way ( although I do not know of any ) of transmitting data securely accross the World Wide Web.

What about guestbooks?

Keeping a guestbook for your site (htaccess files, ASP with ADO, etc.).

Microsoft Centric Database options:

flatfile (textfile, or CSV),
    Excel,
    Access,
    SQL

Those four topics (in bold) could alone make for a decent book. If it were too short, then just add some Linux in there and boomb! A thorough book on web forms, I can assure you, would not be small. If it were 5 years ago, and I knew then what I know now (and hopefully will know over the next few months), I'd have already written the book myself.

Your topics seem to deal more with data handling than forms specifically. I believe the topic of guestbooks would deal more with the recommended db table layout and structure. As far as the form portion, you have a text title and a textarea comment and that's pretty much it. As you mention, a simple regex for validating the fields and you're done.

You said you had many questions. Lay them on us. Start with the first 3 or 4.

Thanks yahamaruss,

All the forums I've been to are all so technology specific. As soon as I ask something about how another technology works with another, I get yet another redirection.

My questions are (were) from an Administrative & Developer's point of view on how all the technologies work together as a whole, as I am administrating and developing my website by myself entirely. So before I get into it, I ask you this:

As you seem very knowlegeable, will it be alright to get into a rather lengthly discussion about the entire layout and function of a website (not a single web page, and not "How do I put a textbox on a form?" ) ?? More like ... a discussion about a thorough "Planning" phase for developing a website, including specific questions about how to programmatically accomplish certain tasks using the technologies that I have selected.

LOL! Gee, I am not asking much am I?

Yes, you are. for me anyway. I can only speak for myself but I would venture to guess that most forum participants are not into a long theoretical debate on practices, which, is what I'm afraid that would turn into.

If you have a specific question about how to do something, you'd be more likely to get a response.

Thread Information