www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: help the new guy!

Hybrid View

Exclamation help the new guy!

Hi all!

I'm new to web design/development. I know HTML, CSS, a little JavaScript, and even less PHP. I have a client who wants a website built where he can sell custom made videos (testimonials). Similar to a site like this: http://www.ordertestimonials.com/

My client wants the user to be able to

1. Choose an actor.
    2. Upload a script.
    3. Select the duration.

The duration will determine the price of the finished testimonial video.

On the sample site above, I don't see where a user can supply their own script.

So how can I incorporate the above 3 options into my clients site? Should I just use Pay Pal like the other site does? Is there some way the user can specify these options once on the Pay Pal site? Or should I use some other method, like maybe a custom form on my clients site, where users can select these options? I know the HTML for the form but how would I integrate these options into a checkout process? Using Javascript? PHP?

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

All the three requirements can be integrated in a form. Maybe a web form generator will help you best.

regans, thanks.

A form generator is a handy tool but I need a solution that doesn't cost me anything (this project is basically paying nothing). I'm willing to hand code the form myself if that's what needs to be done. I'm just not familiar with how I can make it work with Pay Pal... Any ideas?

The form gen. in your sig. for example, does everything I need, but I doubt my client is going to want to pay for the subscription. IDK... what would you guys do? Encourage to client to sign up for it? Or should I just make my own form for him? But then how do I integrate it into the Pay Pal checkout process???

Thanks again, guys!

Oh!, can these three requirements just be added into the pay pal checkout somehow? Probably not file upload, huh?

I guess file upload isn't a feature of PayPal checkouts (you can see their allowed HTML variables here). But you can always do them separately. Here is the simplest PHP code for file uploading:

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="uploader.php" method="POST">
    <input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="100000" />
    Choose a file to upload: <input name="uploadedfile" type="file" /><br />
    <input type="submit" value="Upload File" />
    </form>

Here you can integrate the PayPal facilities.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks! This does help some. I'm still unsure about some of the details though. Is 'uploader.php', in your example, where the user would be taken upon submitting the form? If so, what would 'uploader.php' have to look like (as far as code) to actually upload the file. Where would that file be uploaded? Can I just have it sent to my clients email? I think this would be best. Then maybe have the user redirected to Pay Pal checkout after uploading the file. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, what would you say, is the simplest way to allow the user to input a duration (minutes) in order to determine price? I thought I read on Pay Pal that you can have the user pick a price... Are you aware of this? Maybe I can have minute values attached to the price options.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for all your help!

Thread Information