www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: system specs

system specs

I'm making a help file for a set of software that has rather basic system requirements. however, 1 stipulation is this software is not yet capable of running on Windows 7 64bit. I'm planning on making a basic HTML file that outlines the steps to install the software set and looking for a way to include a simple button that will look at the OS and give the user a discernible "yes"/"no" response, and if relay creative a reason why

Windows 7 64 bit
    128mb RAM
    70GB Free HDD space

the goal is to make this as user friendly as possible. the software itself was developed in china and the translated instructions are not exactly as clear cut as they could be. I've been trying to install it for some time and the tech support for got to mention a few things like "do not install both versions of E.T." or "software must be licensed as to what motor your connecting to" (on-highway truck, heavy equipment, military, etc.)

This may be helpful.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan1991 View Post
    This may be helpful.
    yes that would work. actual PC resources aren't a concern as the software itself is pretty light duty. now how did he get that information?

There is a quite a bit of information that the previously linked page displays, but for starters here is a nice pre-written PHP/JS script that detects many of the same things: http://techpatterns.com/downloads/ph..._detection.php

There are several different ways to detect a lot of the browser information. More detailed information will require more complex coding(such as Java or plugin detection). Depending on what bits of information you specifically want the code required will vary. I'm not sure if the link I provided has everything you want or not but if you can provide those specific details I could help tailor the code you need a bit better.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

lol that's the second person today that's linked me to that exact page

anyway i have exact specs of what I'll need. it might be easier to compile a VBS "button" since its going to be on the main page of the CD what do you think?

2.0 GHz Pentium-compatible processor
    2GB of RAM
    9-16+ GB of Free Hard Drive Space
    Monitor capability of supporting 1024 x 768 resolution
    and Open GL supported Graphics Card (Recommend 128MB+ RAM)
    Microsoft Windows (XP, or Windows 7 32-Bit)
    Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7.0+

now it would be nice and easy if in the second column it was simply a X or a check mark

For some of that information I believe you'll end up needing some additional help from something like Java. While some system information(specs) can be obtained through something as simple as Javascript or PHP, these languages can't access hardware and thus information such as the CPU, memory(RAM), the hard drive and GPU can't be accessed. Using a Java applet you could obtain this information, with permission granted by the user of course.

I'm not really a Java guy so I won't be able to give you any code. System Requirements Lab has used a Java applet to check a user's system specs against requirements for games and I've seen this applet used by others to compare system specs with required specs so that might be worth looking in to, or at the very least a direction to take.

I'm not sure of any other languages that can access hardware or hardware information really. Flash might have the capability but even if that's the case Java would still likely be a better option.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rkirby View Post
    For some of that information I believe you'll end up needing some additional help from something like Java. While some system information(specs) can be obtained through something as simple as Javascript or PHP, these languages can't access hardware and thus information such as the CPU, memory(RAM), the hard drive and GPU can't be accessed. Using a Java applet you could obtain this information, with permission granted by the user of course.
    if only i knew how belarc adviser worked. keep in mind I'm a lowly computer tech and i hate scripting with a passion. so I'm thankful for all the help you guys provided already
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Thread Information