www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Photography

Photography

Hi all,

i recently created a website http://www.marcoiegri.com for my photographer friend.

Thanks

I'm going to be brutally honest here. A few things initially:

1.) I've always found red text on top of black to be extremely harsh and hard to read. A good accessibility test for those with chroma deficiencies (aka color blindness) as well as ease on the eye in general is to take a screenshot of a page on your site, throw it into photoshop and do a straight desaturation. You'll find that if you do that with your site, the red text becomes quite dim and hard to read. Our eyes are most sensitive to luminosity (blank/white contrast), not color, so you should make sure that the luminosity itself is fairly high while ignoring color intially. I will say that black background websites are hard to do, so make sure you give it a lot of tweak time.

2.) These days (meaning the last decade or so) it is frowned upon to do a splash page that asks for which version to use. As you have seen in your dynamic html version, there is no need to use flash for the image gallery, as such i'd just get rid of that version all together. Then, you have two "dynamic html" links, but only because both are in two different languages, but clicking either leads to the same language version. If you don't have two different langage versions of the site, then do away with this as well. And if you are going to have multiple languages give the option via a country flag in the upper right hand corner. Essentially this leads you to loading the http://www.marcoiegri.com/indexhtml.htm page as you main index.htm, and you can do away with the splash page.

3.) When i choose a gallery to view like, http://www.marcoiegri.com/html/NinfaGardensItaly.htm, the first image does not load for me (using firefox) automatically. If you go into a gallery, the main viewer should at least load the first image automatically so the main view isn't just a black screen.

4.) Don't force me to use a horizontal scrollbar when trying to view more thumbnails for the gallery. You should make use of javascript for this, or at the very least shift the thumbnails over (shifting to the left by one) as i view them.

5.) You have defined no DOCTYPE, a document type (like html 4, html 5, xhtml, xml...etc) should be declared at the very top of your code (before anything else). Without this all browsers are rendering your site in quirks mode, which will lead to your site rendering quite differently in various browsers and versions (as well as preventing certain css/html/javascript features from working).

6.) The gallery doesn't work without javascript. You should be able to design the gallery to work without javascript as well. Requiring javascript is bad practice, not just for accessibility but also crawlability from search engines.

Thats about all i can think of right now, but that should give you plenty to crunch on. ;-)
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 11-29-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Information