www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What about IE?!

What about IE?!

Just wanted to get some irritation out there and hear everyone else's thoughts. With HTML5 and CSS3 on the rise, there have been some glorious looking websites. The big craze right now seems to be responsive layouts that look great on mobile devices. I've noticed that a majority of these websites look like complete garbage on IE.

Here's a prime example:
    http://mobilewebbestpractices.com/

This website is great, it gives you great information on building mobile websites. The problem I have is that the website throws javascript errors and has formatting issues in IE8 ... what gives? How can I take a resource seriously if they can't even take time to fix up IE.

I'm so sick of hearing and seeing developers implementing "fallbacks" for IE. People consider "fallbacks" almost like "if it works, and it's accessible, then it's OK." That's not a fallback.

So sick of hearing people complaining about IE and not taking time to make it look good in IE.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

I agree, if anything you should be making IE happy before moving onto the next browser. (That's just my opinion)
    I'm not saying use IE exclusively, but test with multiple browsers you expect your target audience to visit with, which WILL include IE.

Have also worked with developers that use Firefox until the end of the project, then implement hacks for IE to look "alright".
    Last edited by bionoid; 12-20-2011 at 01:20 PM.

The site says it's very much in alpha, so I wouldn't just jump to conclusions just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    .....The problem I have is that the website throws javascript errors and has formatting issues in IE8 ... what gives? ....
    If you look at the home page source code, it should be obvious.

They have used html5 specific elements for a commercial website which is their biggest mistake.

In case you are not aware, html5 /css3 are still in development and will be for at least a few more years. Consequently, browser support for html5/css3 currently varies greatly and for older versions of browsers you need javascript to get the browsers to render the "unrecognised" elements correctly. But what about javascript disabled browsers I hear you ask . The answer should be obvious.

Also, when html5/css3 are eventually finalised in a few years time, they will at least in parts most probably be different to what they are today. So pages built today with html5's current unfinished state might break in a few years time. So why on earth would you build a web page with a currently "half baked" recommendation/standard?

Also, the <!doctype htm> doctype allows some html structural flaws to pass the w3c validator that otherwise would generate errors if a Strict html or xhtml doctype was used - go figure

Building websites using the current state of html5/css3 is fraught with danger for the above reasons and you only need to go look into the history behind the necessity of the creation of "quirks mode" to see that we have learnt nothing from the problems caused by jumping the gun previously before standards are finalised and that history will likely repeat itself after html5/css3 is finalised in a few years.
    Last edited by webdev1958; 12-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information