www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Blog on Existing Webpage.

Blog on Existing Webpage.

I already exisiting 5 pages static website, and each page is coded in HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Now I want to add 6th page, which would be blog. I want that blog page to look exactly like rest of my 5 pages especially with Javascript style navs/menu bar. Now problem is, the Blog page is coded in PHP in whole page.

I just tried Wordpress, I didn't have luck with it. I couldn't intergrate blog page into my site, but was encouraged as only opportunity is to hack WP-template and make it look exactly like my page. Heck, I don't want that... As matter of fact, I hate PHP.

SO question is/are there any possible to get blog site sitting on HTML/CSS coded page without having to hack in WP-Template, i.e. having blog codes reside inside div template or such like the javascript ways?

Hey,

Most blog solutions come with their own template structure. Wordpress being the most popular nowadays has ways to fix the css. Each template comes with its own css file and you can just dump your own code in there.

The problem you are having will occur with any 3rd party application as they are coded/designed differently from how you code. Even though you hate php, having your design implemented will require you to work with the PHP code (i.e. placement of menu, navigation/testing).

So if I were you, go through wordpress css file and modify as much as possible.

If you do not want to add a blog or another page, then just create another page. Blog is meant to be updated daily etc.. The beauty with wordpress is that you can take your current 5 page website and implement it all in wordpress.

Thank you for replying...

Actually, the plan was to keep 5 pages static, and add 6th one as dynamic, and this would be blog. And the blog page would be like my journal, events gathering some feedback and etc, and of course I would need wordpress for that. I don't see why I need wordpress for rest of 5 static page because I have no intention of updating them regularly.

You are right, after going through observation, take a peek on several WP template, I realize they relies heavy on Style.CSS. But on my site, each 5 page has its on .css tagged. Yes 5 .css. This make me wonder, when I see WP use only one .css Would it be possible to create multiple .css with wp?

For now, I'll use one dynamic page, maybe later on as much as I could learn WP, I could turn enitre page from static to WP.

Thank you again

Hey,

You have 5 static with their own unique CSS. CSS, done externally, should group same elements together. Unless your 5 pages are unique in every single way of the design, then having css file for each page is correct. However, if they have overlapping design/style then just reduce the file to 1. Easier to manage.

I won't get into the benefit of using WP. To each its own.

Regards,
    H

You have 5 static with their own unique CSS. CSS, done externally, should group same elements together.
    Wow, what a coincidence when you brought this up...I just recently today, i was searching for more information on combination between PHP and .CSS somehow stumbled across on article that explaining depth on .css. (couldn't remember where) The article stated "There is no reason to create multiple .css since .HTMLs is already unique for each pages" Now that makes all sense, 8 months ago, I was a noob... I only know how to write code, but not understand how it works, what it will do, or where it will go and so on.

next plan is, revamp my website again, make only one .css, now only question is, would it be worth to move on from HTTP into WP, and try to learn PHP, and such? eventhrough if I only intent to keep blog page update regularly not the rest 5 other page "static"? I'd very much like to hear your suggestions.

Lemme know

Hey,

By the sounds of it, I think your knowledge of HTML/CSS/PHP is at a basic level. If you dive off into WP now and start changing your CSS, you will soon become overwhelmed and frustrated. I would highly suggest you have some basic working knowledge of php code in WP before you jump right in.

Get a second hosting account or create a dummy one, many host provide this by using a subdomain, install WP and muck about. Read many tutorials before you start this transition.

I could help you with this transition and make a tutorial out of it for others but it will take some time to do.

Regards,
    H

Thread Information