www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML5 and IE Problem

HTML5 and IE Problem

Hi all,

I have a web site that has some html tags and it works fine in Chrome and Firefox, however in IE8 and IE9 it just won't load any resources (stylesheets and javascript) and it gets completely broken.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

The doctype and html tag are declared as following:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en">
    and the content type:

Code:
     <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Ie 8

Maybe robots.txt has userAgent string with value like IE.

You'll need to post a link or show more of your code. Chances are it's a broken tag that is in your head that gets 'fixed' properly when other major browsers render your code, but not IE.

You should try validating your page.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

I'm still kind of a noob at all of this so I may be totally off here. I tried doing a bit of HTML 5 myself and found I had the most trouble with it in IE 8 (I run XP so I don't have 9). If I recall HTML5 isn't fully implemented yet and is still somewhat experimental. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if IE just doesn't have a lot of HTML5 built into their browsers just yet.

I used the <section> tag instead of the <div> tag when I tried which worked fine in some browsers, but not in IE. I know because once I turned the <section> tag into <div>, the content showed up as intended in IE.

I myself for now just stick with XHTML Transitional until I hear otherwise.

You can use HTML5 in IE, but you should google these two things in order to get it to work properly:

Modernizr
    HTML5 Boilerplate
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

HTML5, in my humble opinion, shouldn't be used until standards have been cemented.

Oh, sure, play with it a bit, I guess. But as far as I know there are no browsers that are close to being even mostly HTML5-compliant, so a lot of the code can't be implemented, anyway. And what happens if/when the way browsers are currently parsing the HTML5 code is changed when the standards are set?

Just my $0.02.
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by WolfShade View Post
    HTML5, in my humble opinion, shouldn't be used until standards have been cemented.

Oh, sure, play with it a bit, I guess. But as far as I know there are no browsers that are close to being even mostly HTML5-compliant, so a lot of the code can't be implemented, anyway. And what happens if/when the way browsers are currently parsing the HTML5 code is changed when the standards are set?

Just my $0.02.
    My 2 cents: HTML has been in flux and has been sloppily implemented by browser vendors since it's inception. Use the generic HTML doctype and whatever combination of tags/techniques you can without ostracizing "too many" visitors. What constitutes as "too many" is up you, of course ...

And, if you choose to use bleeding edge stuff, just be sure to keep your eyes on the specs.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Most of the semantic tags - nav, footer, header, article, section, time, aside, etc - can easily be implemented using the HTML5shim JS (included in modernizr) and a couple of styles from HTML5 boilerplate. I have been using these semantic tags for at least the last year.

Also, video and audio tags can easily be implemented using something like mediaelementjs that provides an automatic flash fallback for older browsers.

Absolutely no reason why you can't be (and shouldn't be) using HTML5 now.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Thread Information