www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What if we all had imaginary friends?

What if we all had imaginary friends?

This is an idea i wanted to pass around. It's kinda interesting.
    You know who just had a great idea? That's right.

I did.

Imagine if we all had imaginary friends. Like seriously. And I know this sounds so stupid. but no seriously

Think about it.

Let's imagine. That just for a second we hallucinated actual beings. (I suppose human or not... probably be less confusing if they were non-human)

Like 1 or 2 ... or maybe even 6. As friends. You know.

Of course others couldn't see them, but the individual could.

Let's say these beings had different personalities and brought different things to our lives. Idk. Maybe one was good at memorizing things and one was good at math.

How incredible would that be?

No seriously. Why would that be bad? It couldn't be if everyone did it, or if it was at least the norm.

It almost wants me to hypnotize myself into creating one. In fact... .... ... i might try it.

So what does this solve? Loneliness.
    It's not QUITE like you're talking to yourself. It'd be different ... sorta. They are derivatives of your subconscious. They could help you learn more about yourself. I'd call them shadows.

But it's kinda cool when you think about it. Shut up. Yes it is. You know it is, so shut up.

You'll always have someone else with a different perspective.

Oh god, that'd be totally awesome.

SEOT: wmRzh4iZ6W8gMkY0bAXp

I don't know what you've taken or been smoking but you need to cut back a bit and realize that AI has been around for many years although it is in early research development, we have many technologies that stem from its research in to language, sound, speech processing and synthesis and how the ear perceives sounds.

So couple AI with an auditory output and an input that can detect speech and the AI but kicks in with the tough bit of comprehending the speech and applying an appropriate response.

Predictive response to typed text already exists. Someone bragged on here once that they helped set up an SMS gateway that automated the first 3 replies to text initiations by a client before any actual person but they got charged premium rates on the lead up to the real person getting involved.

So you can be fooled in the real world without knowing it or you could suspect it but not actually prove it if its done well.

As for split personality... keep up the good work both of you
    We all have baggage to carry in life, unfortunately for me I always get the trolley with the wonky wheel...
    Code:
    Youre = {
          STILL_not_getting_it:function(){
               alert("YOU, the original poster / thread starter NEED to POST the code and NOT a LINK.");
          },
          MissingThePoint:function(msg){
                alert("You're missing the point. " + msg);
          }
    }
    Youre.STILL_not_getting_it();

I suppose AI would quench this curiosity faster than any stable method for controlled hallucinations can be developed.

dreams ruined :/

Try one of those isolation booths, the ones where you float in a warm bath of water in total darkness, so you have sound isolation as well so you have managed to shut off two of your main sensory inputs which are your ears and then your eyes.

In real world terms, that likely the closest you will get to isolation so you can take a voyage in to your mind thats drug free! Remember kids, just say NO! ... NOT AT THOSE EFFING PRICES!!!!
    We all have baggage to carry in life, unfortunately for me I always get the trolley with the wonky wheel...
    Code:
    Youre = {
               alert("YOU, the original poster / thread starter NEED to POST the code and NOT a LINK.");
          },
          }
    }

His Dark Materials sort of works like that, as did some short story also entitled Daemons.
    Last edited by Declan1991; 01-04-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Keysle View Post
    I suppose AI would quench this curiosity faster than any stable method for controlled hallucinations can be developed.

dreams ruined :/
    From what I've read, hypnosis can induce hallucinations quite well for some folks.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    From what I've read, hypnosis can induce hallucinations quite well for some folks.
    The emphasis on SOME.

If you ever go to a live show where some of the audience are hypnotized, what you will not see is the back stage selection where subjects are chosen based on how easy they are to hypnotize or are more ready to accept blind instruction and obey.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandondude
    From what I've read, mind bending psychedelics can induce hallucinations quite well for many folks.
    Code:
    Youre = {
          },
          }
    }

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    The emphasis on SOME.
    Don't mock me, sir! From what I recall, that SOME is the majority. Bear in mind, of course, that hypnosis is a skill, not a drug. So, like any other skill, most folks will require a lot of regular practice. 99% of us couldn't just expect to sit down, run through a hypnosis script, and suddenly be exploring Azeroth or whatever.

In any case, I'm not sure I could condone the use of hypnosis for inducing hallucinations under most circumstances. Hypnosis is effectively a "mechanical" tool for shaping brain operation into some particular conformance. To use this tool to indulge "friendship" fantasies seems to be a long leap down the short paths to addiction and a super-inflated ego.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Thread Information