www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How can i connect my web site tracking system with dhl tracking system?

Exclamation How can i connect my web site tracking system with dhl tracking system?

hello to all, i have a curier company.
    we are working with dhl for transfering goods, or others things.
    so i would like to connect my site data base with dhl datbase,
    please help me and give me right path
    regards

To actually be connected to another database you would need permission and credentials to log in to said database. I only suspect this access would be refused, mainly for security purposes.

However it is likely you can still utilize various systems and pages from the DHL website to obtain some information you may be wanting/needed for your own site. I'm not entirely sure all of the information you are wanting access to, but in light of a courier business, it should be possible to obtain tracking information from the DHL website (without database access) and display this information back to your site.

So if you could explain a bit more on what information you want/need perhaps I can try to give you more help on how to obtain and work with said information.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

I hesitate to suggest this, but if you can't gain read-only access to the DHL database, and if they don't already have some kind of API for you to use, then there's always the not-quite-legit-and-prone-to-breaking method of "screen scraping".
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

i heard that for connecting database i have to use api
    is there any one who is very much expert in api?

API simply stands for Application Programming Interface. It's not one general language or 'thing' anyone learns. An API is specific to a certain collection of code and so an API for DHL would be a specific set of functions, methods and variables set up by coders at DHL that allow others to connect to, work with and access certain parts of data/information.

After a bit of googling the only references to an API provided by DHL seems to point to a page on ProgrammableWeb, however, it states the API is no longer available.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

If you're needing to connect to DHL in the way that you are specifying, then you should contact DHL directly for help in the matter.
    Welsh

I agree with welsh. And if they don't offer an API (or support for it), then all that's really left (off the top of my head) is the screen-scraping option I mentioned, earlier.

You could use cURL to access the DHL site (if they allow URL parameters for the tracking number) and put the contents of that page into a string; then find the opening and closing tags of the item-specific data, set the indeces of those tags as the start/end of a substring, and grab the in-between as the tracking information.

Again, not-quite-legitimate (you're using a questionably ethical method for obtaining said information) and prone-to-breaking (if they change anything related to the opening or closing mask, this method finds nothing, so it will fail).
    |||||
    o . Q
    ___ "You live and you learn; or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long

^_^

Contact DHL, speak to the integration team, ask them about CSV files.

They should be able to supply you with a CSV file via FTP that you can parse to get tracking information if you have an account with them.

The API may be overkill for what you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by temp.user123
    You know... You're not so smart. Do you need me to educate you?
    If you say, "please," (and do so, nicely) then I will show you where you're dead wrong.

Thread Information